looking for a cheap computer on ebay that will run 8 mb internet or fast internet

heyman421

banned
well, let's put it this way.

if the 1MB is the standard package, that computer will be fine.

but i wouldn't PAY EXTRA for a 1MB line to use with that computer.

chupacabra

I personally will not buy electronic from ebay.

seconded, ebay has bad fame when buying computers/electronics (not all the time,but well you get the main idea) and the fact that's a piece of crap trying to be called a computer

shweeny666

and what do you mean by a POS ??

back to the question, is that computer good enough to deal with 8mb internet or not ?

Geoff

VIP Member
the computer in my first post or the second one ?
Any computer that has at least a 10Mb NIC and a decent computer (try to keep it above 800Mhz, 256MB RAM, and Windows 2000 or newer). Older ones will work, but then you will run into problems with flash games, and videos.

heyman421

banned
i mean, it's technically capable of communicating at 8mbps, but that CPU's not going to be able to crunch encryption/decode binaries/decode, delete and move temp. files fast enough to keep out of it's own way.

Unless the 1MBps line is the SLOWEST you can get, then i wouldn't buy a 1MB line just for use with that computer. Back when people used computers like that, a 1MB t1 was meant for an entire business/apartment, not an individual computer. It wont be able to keep up with the data coming in. It'd be a waste of money.

Even my p4 3.6 (which i realize is by no means a new processor) gets choked up sometimes with my 5mbps line on big decompression jobs, and ties up the entire system, and you're talking about a connection that's almost 2x as fast.

Last edited:

Irishwhistle

I wouldn't consider buying a computer off eBay. It really isn't a very good computer anyway. It would run very slow with XP.

~Jordan

daisymtc

To be honest, I am not fancy any second-handed PC.

Will you consider using £230 to build your own?

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ (2GHz) Socket AM2 Energy Efficient L2 512KB (2x256KB) Cache Retail Boxed Processor
Gigabyte Ga-m61pm-s2 Am2 Nvgf6100 Matx
Western Digital WD800JD Caviar SE 80GB 7200RPM SATA/150 8MB Cache - OEM
Corsair 1GB DDR2 675MHz/PC2-5400 XMS2 Memory Non-ECC CL4 Unbuffered Extreme Performance With Heatspreaders & Lifetime Warranty
NEC Optiarc AD-7170S-0B 18x DVD±RW/DL/RAM Serial ATA Black - OEM
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic x64Bit OEM
Casecom KL-787 Black Midi-Tower Case - With 350W PSU

Or buy a new PC?
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/124436

Or you could also go to Dell.co.uk outlet section to look for refurb one.
I would suggest getting those around £230 with Processor AMD x 2 and 1GB RAM
like those with ref:09BLLGM5, FLXYHEG5

Last edited:
FFS guys he hardly knows how a computer works, how do you expect him to build one (no offense man).

To answer your question, that computer you put in your 1st post will work with an 8mbps connection.

Oh.. and don't knock eBay until you try it.. I have bought a computer from eBay and it has worked flawlessly.

daisymtc

FFS guys he hardly knows how a computer works, how do you expect him to build one (no offense man).

To answer your question, that computer you put in your 1st post will work with an 8mbps connection.

Oh.. and don't knock eBay until you try it.. I have bought a computer from eBay and it has worked flawlessly.

If he don't know about computer, he cannot judge if the ebay deal is fare. And he don't know what is the maxium price he should be paying.

So if he can't build, I will suggest he go for the dell refurb section to find the best deal as I mentioned before. And if he got any further problem with his PC, he can phone dell and fix it. I think it is worth paying a bit more for some granutee from big company.

RoBo07

1. A 10mb NIC would run your 8mb connection fine.

2. Hard drive space is not a measure of performance, the pentium 3 I am typing this on has a 120gb and is USELESS on my 20mb internet.

3. When choosing a computer pick one that has a hard drive (duh I know), that 2nd dell you chose had a hard drive as an OPTION.

4. Make sure it comes with a COA.

5. Intergrated graphics is not a feature (yet I will not mention my P3 this time)