Looking for a new SSD

The Astroman

Hey folks,

I'm looking for a new 7mm high SSD to replace an HDD in my Lenovo T420s. I've basically narrowed down the list to two choices:
These fit my budget, and offer what I'm looking for: 250 GB of storage with fast speed. I will gladly take any recommendation for alternatives, but note that my system only supports SATA-II, i.e. 3 Gbit/s throughput.

I'm a bit wary of the Samsung since it is the first to use TLC NAND chips, which supposedly reduces reliability and speed (although they seem to have designed it very well). I have heard good feedback on the Crucial m4, so that's my first choice currently. Any thoughts on those? Thanks :D

tech savvy

Hey folks,

I'm looking for a new 7mm high SSD to replace an HDD in my Lenovo T420s. I've basically narrowed down the list to two choices:
These fit my budget, and offer what I'm looking for: 250 GB of storage with fast speed. I will gladly take any recommendation for alternatives, but note that my system only supports SATA-II, i.e. 3 Gbit/s throughput.

I'm a bit wary of the Samsung since it is the first to use TLC NAND chips, which supposedly reduces reliability and speed (although they seem to have designed it very well). I have heard good feedback on the Crucial m4, so that's my first choice currently. Any thoughts on those? Thanks :D

SAMSUNG 840 all day. But, since your laptop only support SATA-II, you wont get the full speed that they offer (I believe), so it's kinda pointless to get the fastest one when you can't utilize all the speed.

spirit

Staff member
I've got the Crucial drive, it's pretty fast. I've also used a SanDisk Extreme, also a fast drive.

tech savvy

I wouldn't touch the 840 drives, their write times are abysmal. If you can find an 830 instead, go for it instead but the 840 is a dog.

I would take the Crucial drive, or even go for a G.Skill Phoenix:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231614

Either will be a much more rounded drive than the 840 is

According to this, the 840 is faster in 99.9% of the benches.

link- http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/678?vs=355 840 vs M4

I rather have faster reads then writes any day of the week.

Virssagòn

VIP Member
Don't take the phoenix.
If you want fast write and read, go for the hyperX 3k from Kingston.
Anyway, read is a bit more important and you won't see difference in game,... only when you're copying a big file or something. Reading makes your pc to start very fast and lets programs open in a second. So also the Samsungs are great if you don't mind waiting when you're pasting big files. (It'll be still faster then an hdd though..)

cwizardtx

Keep in mind there are lot of 9mm drives and only a few 7mm drives. The ones you linked above look like 7mm as you've done your research. The Intel 520 series are also 7mm (remove the plastic black ring).

I highly recommend the Intel 520 series drives.

The Astroman

Thanks guys for the responses. I went for the Samsung 840 finally, along with an upgrade from 4GB to 8GB RAM, it's rocking my world!