Looking for laptop input.

Davis Goertzen

I'm helping a friend look for a laptop, and I have a few questions.

My first problem is that I'm not very familiar with AMD's line of Vision processors. If I understand correctly from a little bit of internet skimming I just did, it seems like (on a very rough generalization) the processors would correspond to each other something like this: E2=Pentium, A4=i3, A6=I5, and A8=I7. Is that halfways close to getting the general idea?

His needs are pretty basic: He like to browse the internet and watch online videos on youtube and such, and his wife uses the internet to connect to her work. He isn't much of a gamer, and they don't do other graphics-intensive stuff like making videos and that sort of thing. The laptop won't get moved around a whole lot. He does want an integrated numeric keypad, so he was thinking that a 17" laptop would be good, although I did tell him that with laptops being made wide-screen these days, lots of 15" laptops have integrated keypads too.

I'll list the specs of is current machine (6 or so years old, I think):
CPU: AMD Turion 64 ML-32, 1.8 Ghz, 512 Mb L2 cache.
RAM: 1024 Mb.
GPU: ATI Radeon Xpress 200M.
HDD: 80 Gb, 4200 rpm.

So obviously, any decent mid-range laptop he gets will out-perform the old one by a big margin. I'm trying to figure out how to advise him about getting something that will give him enough performance headroom to last for several years, without going overboard and getting all sorts of power that he'll never utilize. My (uneducated) guess is that something in the 15"-17" range, 4-6 Gb RAM, A6 or i5 CPU, would be plenty for all he'd need. He was considering this one (http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku.asp?webid=425141&CatIds=67,68,3257&AffixedCode=WW&=&=&=) in the Staples flyer (mostly I think he was looking for the 17"), but I think that's more horsepower than he'll ever need.

If he's dead set to get a 17" machine, I'll help him look, but I'm thinking a 15" might serve his needs just as well; I've told him that a 15" laptop always costs less than a similarly spec'd 17" machine. My thought is that around $600-700 ought to get him a very nice 15" laptop that would be sufficient.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on this? I'd like some more input here, and particularly if anyone can compare the AMD vs Intel CPUs.

Thanks in advance.

Davis

wolfeking

banned
an A8 processor is equal in power to a low end i5 i think. The only real reason to get an A8 or any A series processor is to get a half decent GPU in the CPU.

I would think that any sandy bridge processor would be decent enough to run for him for years to come. A C2D @ 1.8 would do everything he needs, and it is already ~6 years old.

Davis Goertzen

Thanks, that gives me a little help. I have noticed that on the laptops with Vision CPUs, they say what level of ATI graphics they're equal to; I didn't quite realize that the graphics is almost their main selling point. My guess is that the integrated graphics on a SB processor would suffice.

Any more thoughts?

wolfeking

banned
your a little confused there bud.

Vision is a AMD trademark of using a AMD processor with an AMD CPU.
What you are talking about are the Fusion line of processors. They are the GPU integrated to the CPU. They are for low end cards.

Yes, for their uses, a Intel CPU and its IPU would be just fine.

Davis Goertzen

Oh okay, I think I get what you mean. I guess I misunderstood when you said:

The only real reason to get an A8 or any A series processor is to get a half decent GPU in the CPU.

But I think I've got it straight now.

RichardT

Look into the Toshiba Satellite L755, its a 15.6" screen, mid range Intel i5 system with a nVidia Geforce GT 525M GPU. Great piece of kit and will not become redundant with that type of usage described any time soon! Mine set me back ~$600 so it fits nicely into your price range as well.

Hope this helps!
R