Looking for new sound

psycho_freke

I bought a no name 5.1 system from ebay and it's been great until recently. I have two problems with it, though. The first is, whenever I turn on/off the fans/lights in the room, the speakers pop. The second is that all of the satellites except for the center seem to have blown. They all rattle now. I've had the system for about a year to a year and a half. The sub still works great, too. The set advertises on the box that it's a 2000W system. I'm looking for something similar to what I have, but in a better brand for under 70 bucks. The system I have is a Multimedia SP-5100. Again, this is the name on the box. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't want another system that the speakers are going to blow out in. Only thing I can figure is that perhaps they put too much wattage to the system for the satellites to handle. Perhaps I just need to speakers and should keep the sub and controller? If so, it's still going to be difficult, because I'll need speakers with RCA jacks.

Johnnyboy0056

are u sure the speakers came as a set with the sub? and do the speakers plug into the sub as an amp in the set u have now?

psycho_freke

I could downground to a 4.1 or even a 2.1 as long as I still get clear sound, with good, clear, loud bass. In my car I have an MP3 compatible Kenwood CD/AM/FM stereo, 1000w amp with a .5 farad capacitor and 2 12" 800W subs, so quality sound is definately important to me, and I like my music loud.

psycho_freke

Johnnyboy0056 said:
are u sure the speakers came as a set with the sub? and do the speakers plug into the sub as an amp in the set u have now?

Yes, I'm positive that the speakers came as a set with the sub, and yes the speakers plug into the sub as an amp. One more thing, though. There are RCA jacks on the back of the controller, and on the back of the sub. Perhaps I hooked them up wrong? *blushes* I really think the instructions said to hook them up to the sub though, and 9 times out of 10 I read the instructions on anything I buy (with the exception of DVD players, TVs, cell phones, and watches...if I have any question as to how something connects, or it looks complicated, I refer to the manual.)

Last edited:

psycho_freke

Scratch that. Tried hooking up one to the controller. No sound. Probably an input, since the input that's connected is the type like you see on headphone jacks. Then the output from the controller to the input on the sub is some type of serial connector. I've wondered also if perhaps it's that serial cable that I'm having trouble with. At one point I was getting nothing but pops and static from the speakers, and fixed that by wiggling that serial connector. (sorry. this is a detail I had forgotton.)