Looking For Router

fiammanera

I need a rack mount/modular router that has the ports on the front of the router so that it will work in my rack thats against the wall. Cisco is preferred, especially one of the older ones.

Second I need to know a place online where i can purchase one of these "business" type routers. All the placed I checked had home routers. I would prefer a place with a big selection.

If you could find a router that fits my requirements and give a site that has that router, that would be great.

fiammanera

Haven't you ever went into a server room at a business or to a college with networking equipment? They have routers. I'm not talking about home routers.
Just today I was at Michigan Tech taking a Networking class and in the lab there where 4 racks of mostly routers and we were configuring them.

Haven't you ever went into a server room at a business or to a college with networking equipment? They have routers.
I'm not talking about home routers.
Just today I was at Michigan Tech taking a Networking class and in the lab there where 4 racks of mostly routers.

A lot of switches are confused for routers, I am pretty sure you are talking of a switch, just with the wrong terminology.

fiammanera

I am not talking about a switch. A router determines the proper way for data to travel, and they dont have to be used for routing the internet. You can use them instead of switches too, and switches are only level 2 and must learn the proper routes, while routers are level 3.

Deepblue

Cisco routers i know just where to look, i know you will find what you are looking for here
http://www.ciscokits.com/
I got my two Cisco routers and switch from this guy and have no complants what so ever.
he has a lot of stuff, prices are good and my order was processed and delivered as advertised on his sight.

This is where i would go if i need any other cisco equipment

Last edited:

fiammanera

Thanks alot. I was looking for an older cisco front-port rack mountable router with serial and ethernet connections and they have exactly that. :D And its $80. This is SWEET

tlarkin

VIP Member
for rack mount the only ones I know of are:

3com
Cisco
Asante

Some retail routers like netgear and Linksys used to sell rack mount adapters you could toss onto their consumer router and then mount it on the rack. The problem is I think no one in their right mind would ever want one of those routers on their rack so I think they discontinued those products.

Another option would be to build a really cheap rack mount PC and load one of the Linux routing/firewall OSes on it and run your router that way.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Cisco routers i know just where to look, i know you will find what you are looking for here
http://www.ciscokits.com/
I got my two Cisco routers and switch from this guy and have no complants what so ever.
he has a lot of stuff, prices are good and my order was processed and delivered as advertised on his sight.

This is where i would go if i need any other cisco equipment

wow holy crap those are some good prices on cisco stuff. We use brand new catalyst switches/routers and well the cisco guy touches those and no one else. I would like to get my hands on some one just to finally get my CCNA one of these days.

Deepblue

Thanks alot. I was looking for an older cisco front-port rack mountable router with serial and ethernet connections and they have exactly that. :D And its $80. This is SWEET

:D NP I knew this guy would have what you needed and like I said I have be very satisfied with the equipment I got from him.

wow holy crap those are some good prices on cisco stuff. We use brand new catalyst switches/routers and well the cisco guy touches those and no one else. I would like to get my hands on some one just to finally get my CCNA one of these days.

Do it man get you some what do you have to lose. :)