Looking for some OC advice with 1090t

venraw

Hey, guys. I just got in my new processor which is --as the title states-- the 1090t Phenom II AMD 3.2 Ghz. With stock heatsink fan and a decent amount of head room from PSU, how high do you guys think I can get it? Also, what's a good program to OC with? Kind of new to the scene. Thanks you all for your time!:D

CardboardSword

You don't use a program to OC, you use the motherboard's BIOS. On the stock cooling you should easily hit 3.6Ghz, probably a lot more, that's a conservative guess. You're limited by how much voltage you can put through it because the heat build-up becomes too much for the poor stock heatsink to deal with.

venraw

Are there any pros to OCing a hexacore to begin with though? It seems like everybody --no matter the processer-- overclocks it. Thoughts?

kobaj

VIP Member
Are there any pros to OCing a hexacore to begin with though? It seems like everybody --no matter the processer-- overclocks it. Thoughts?

Not everyone overclocks, I don't and I know several other members who don't. Frankly, I see no point, why ruin your warranty and shorten the life span of your components to gain an extra 5-10fps.

Now if a person has a proper water cooling setup and can get maybe a 50fps boost (5ghz on liquid nitrogen!). OR if a person purchased a 5850 and just overclocked it equivalent to the 5870 or something like that. THEN yes I can see overclocking as being "worth it." BUT otherwise, no point imo.

As for you (op), what are your current frame rates? If they're in the hundreds with every graphical setting maxed out, then you probably don't need to overclock. Basically the concept "Don't do it if you don't NEED it."

Anyway, that's my .02$

JustinKranz

I have the same processor as you, and mine is running stable at 3.9Ghz.

You don't use a program to OC, you go to your BIOS and adjust the multiplier.

I'm not sure what type of CPU cooling you have, but I'm using the Corsair H70 Liquid cooling and in idle my CPU runs at 8-11 degrees Celsius. while gaming or something, highest I've seen it is around 25c. So if you're like me and temperature isn't an issue, just slightly raise your multiplier and run benchmark programs like cinebench and see where your system remains stable. also you will want to shut off that super boost or whatever setting that makes your CPU jump to 3.6.

Hope that helps.

venraw

Thanks for the tip guys. What's the whole thing with processors bottling video cards? Should I OC my 1090t to accommodate my Dual 470 GTX? Also, my cooler is the stock that came with the processor.

CardboardSword

I leave my 1055T at anywhere between 3.5Ghz amd 3.8Ghz for my day-to-day OC. It doesn't require much voltage to get it there and therefor it's pretty easy on my computer. Since you have the unlocked edition, it'd be even easier to do because you just need to raise your multiplier until you're not stable, then back it down one or two notches. (Or increase the voltage a notch if you want to go higher.) The life span shortage that reasonable overclocking causes is pretty negligible, yeah, your processor won't last as long. Now it'll only last 15 years instead of 18-20. If you're still using it by then, you've got bigger problems on your hands :p

jasonn20

Hey, guys. I just got in my new processor which is --as the title states-- the 1090t Phenom II AMD 3.2 Ghz. With stock heatsink fan and a decent amount of head room from PSU, how high do you guys think I can get it? Also, what's a good program to OC with? Kind of new to the scene. Thanks you all for your time!:D

You will need a better cooler than the stock to keep the cpu temp under 60c when stress tested.... the cooler the cpu the better...

Overclocking should be done in the bios.. C1E, cool & quiet, turbo, and Spread-spectrum (if avalible) should be disabled in the bios so they do not interfere with stability (sometimes can be turned back On)... the ram should be checked for correct timings, voltage, and multiplyer while in the bios as well.

A few programs:
HWmonitor
cpuz
p95 (prime 95)
Linx Stability
IBT (Intel burn test)

It is hard telling how high the overclock will go.. safely.. overclocks are not guaranteed to be the same with every 1090t so you kinda have to find the personality of your inparticular processor...

venraw

Thanks for the info man. What about my compute case fans? I have a full coolermaster tower with like a 200mm side case fan and one on the top front and back. Think I could get a little oc in with that kind of ventilation? I'll be sure to get those programs and turn those things off in bios and check the RAM timings also.

venraw

I would assume the 1090t would be the most practical. Being black edition and all they're supposedly easier to OC. From what I've gathered, a sufficient PSU and cooling system will allow you to get a decent boost with the 1090t. As others have stated, just OC until you get stability issues and downclock a little.

jasonn20

Thanks for the info man. What about my compute case fans? I have a full coolermaster tower with like a 200mm side case fan and one on the top front and back. Think I could get a little oc in with that kind of ventilation? I'll be sure to get those programs and turn those things off in bios and check the RAM timings also.

It's good to have case ventilation but the stock cooler is still not enough for much or any of a stabile/safe overclock. You will need a better cpu cooler.

If you can, run IBT with HWmonitor open (using stock clocks) and post a screen of the temps when IBT is done.... also (2) CpuZ of the cpu and memory tab...

How green are you with overclocking...?

Virtualization is something else that I would disable in bios but forgot to add it earlier.

JustinKranz

Your case fans won't do enough to cool your processor if you're overclocking with a stock cpu fan. If you don't need to overclock, then don't. If you feel that you need to then I suggest you get a better fan.

I never even tried the stock fan for my 1090T, but I doubt it would handle OC too well.

I use the Corsair H70 water cooling, works great for me, might want to look into it.

venraw

Yeah, I spent all my reserves on what I have now. It will be awhile before I can afford a decent cooling kit. I'll get some monitoring programs and see what I can do with stock.

venraw

I OC'd it to 3.5 mhz the core voltage is 1.3v according to CPU-Z and I also ran a stress test for 2 hours. There were no errors and the temperature capped out at 45C although it mainly hovered around 41C.

CardboardSword

Be careful with your temperatures. AMD for some ungodly reason has them fashioned in such a way that they read significantly cooler than what they actually are. To see if yours is, download HWMonitor and look at the TMP1 (At I think that's the one, that or TMP0) and see if it matches the temp reading from other programs. Another easy way to tell is by how cool your CPU idles at. If it's something like 12-19*c then its way off, because your hardware cannot be colder than the air surrounding it. If you happen to be running your set up in a freezer or something, then I take it all back, but it's still something you need to keep in mind. My temperature readings were almost 10*c off, and that can make all the difference.

venraw

Hmm, true these readings do seem too good to be true. I kicked on HW monitor and it shows that it idles from 20C to 22C and easily jumps and hovers at 43-45C when I'm playing metro 2033. I run dual monitor so I usually watch my temps when I'm gaming. Thoughts? I was able to get the OC without really adjusting the voltage so who knows. Ran the stress test again for 5 hours without any failures.

CardboardSword

The OC without a voltage increase is great, but not unreasonable so it should be stable. What is it that HWMonitor is saying is 20-22*c? They seem too low to be true unless your computer is in a pretty chilly room.

venraw

I live in a dorm so the rooms aren't terribly big but the cooling systems are. I keep it reasonably cool. I tend to get hot easily and my pc benefits too

venraw

yeah, these temperatures seem to good to be true. I'm idling at 22C atm. I'm OC'd to 3.6 ghz with my 1090t. I've seen people idle at much higher with a name brand hs/f. Maybe the diodes are messed up or something. Kinda has me worried