Looking to build a web server

pies

I'm looking to build a web server for my buddy who runs his own site (well a site and a forum)
And was just wondering what the best parts would be.
Could I use a desktop motherboard to run the server or do I need a server motherboard.
thanks
-pies

Motoxrdude

You don't need much really. I ran my web server on a PIII 866mhz computer just fine. It mainly comes down to your internet speeds.

Assuming you have T3 or greater then i would look into an opteron quad core processor as i use it for my game server and it works great.

BTW, how much traffic are you looking at with this server? Are you going to be doing just a website server or a gameserver as well?

pies

I'm waiting to see if he wants to host games as well or not.
You think a core 2 duo would perform well.
probaly a good amount of traffic

Motoxrdude

Yeah i would go with a quad core cpu if you doing a game server on it. It also comes down to budget, but if you can afford it go with a quad core. Also 4gb would be a good amount of ram if you can afford it, but 2gb will work too.
Do you know the bandwidth of connection the server will be on?

pies

I'll give my buddy a call in the morning he knows that stuff.
So can I use a desktop motherboard like the gigabyte one every one recomends for the intel cpu's

pies

ok thanks I'm gona look into some parts now then when I find out more I'll post it
thanks
-pies

The Qban

just make sure you know that if you are using a standard ISP, you have to know the regulations that they hold for users hosting websites over their provided to you internet. Sometimes they wont let you, or they will if you pay more. You have to contact them. If you have comcast, good luck. They are currently being put out there by the media for publicly closing down users connections when ports are being used that are for P2P/PNP, and webhosting. Sometimes you have to get a different ISP providet that has more options for small business that allow you to host websites

The Qban

no problem. I have setup, and maintained multiple servers, webservers, email servers, etc. And when you deal with a ISP, you run into other issues you have to work with. Whenever i setup a webserver for a business or home, etc, i always have to let them know that you have to pay extra a month for the ISP provider, becuase they are going to make you get their higher plan and have to buy or lease a static public IP from them. Unless you really need to, i would recommend paying 5 bucks a month and let some off-site server do the hosting for you. just simpler unless you are a big business or someone who wants that control.