Lost Cd Key

mtb211

I built a new computer threw out my old case with my serial key on it.
Called microsoft and they say i have to buy another key thats 130 dollars.
So now I can not activate windows, I cant find a crack either... its frustrating.

I have media center 2002... any tips?

Kornowski

VIP Member
Well, we can't show you where to get cracks or anything like that...

Being honest, you shouldn't have thrown your serial number out... I don't really know what to suggest, other than buying a new one. Sorry.

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
JBK only works on an installed system. Unfortunately, Windows needs a valid key to actually install onto a system. I do like JBK though - comes in handy sometimes.

funkysnair

VIP Member
ah-woops... didnt realise it was a complete build. thats what i get for not reading properly-or drinking too much too early :)

mtb211

yeah this sucks lol... I tried using jelly bean and switching it with my xp home serial

funkysnair

VIP Member
well the cd key is not stored on the disk files, ive done some research into this a while back!

some people said to go into this folder open this look for this blah blah blah didnt work cos they key isnt there...

truth is every disk is the same but all keys are different, makes sense because microsoft would have to produce 1000's of disks each one different.

you really are paying for the key!!

i have 3 windows xp disks with no key-ive aquired and there useless, unless some one tells me different....

i cant think of a way out of this for you

b182tm

When i had to reformat I called Microsoft and asked for a new key, and he gave it to me without any questions asked...maybe their policy has changed and you can no longer do it...?