Lots of problems

Xaluber

I'm posting this for a friend.

He was having trouble with his computer. Getting BSOD and whatnot on every normal startup attempt and his computer was only running in safe mode. He decided to reinstall using his Windows XP Pro disc. After the reinstall, the computer booted up normally but sound wasn't working. For some reason, Windows wasn't seeing his sound card. He tried downloading a driver but it said that it couldn't install because it could not find a soundcard. So he shut it off, took out the sound card, and rebooted to see if he could use the onboard sound. No luck there either. But, he noticed that it said he now had a 1.8GHz AMD Athlon XP processor (was 950MHz). I didn't think that it could be right but he downloaded CPUz and it showed his core speed to be 1800MHz. I told him to check his temps to make sure it wasn't burning up (because thats like an 80% OC) but I don't think they're reading right because it showed his processor as running at 29.8C (only 85.6F).

I guess my question is what in the world is going on with the computer? First BSOD, then no sound, and suddenly super processor.

DeskAssist

I'm posting this for a friend.

He was having trouble with his computer. Getting BSOD and whatnot on every normal startup attempt and his computer was only running in safe mode. He decided to reinstall using his Windows XP Pro disc. After the reinstall, the computer booted up normally but sound wasn't working. For some reason, Windows wasn't seeing his sound card. He tried downloading a driver but it said that it couldn't install because it could not find a soundcard. So he shut it off, took out the sound card, and rebooted to see if he could use the onboard sound. No luck there either. But, he noticed that it said he now had a 1.8GHz AMD Athlon XP processor (was 950MHz). I didn't think that it could be right but he downloaded CPUz and it showed his core speed to be 1800MHz. I told him to check his temps to make sure it wasn't burning up (because thats like an 80% OC) but I don't think they're reading right because it showed his processor as running at 29.8C (only 85.6F).

I guess my question is what in the world is going on with the computer? First BSOD, then no sound, and suddenly super processor.

Very strange after removing the soundcard did he check that any jumpers needed enabled for the onboard soundcards chipset?

29.8C is pretty low for a cpu least it isn't reading 80C or something like that.
This could very well be a mainboard issue with all the problems he's been having try resetting BIOS default and see if the readings are any better for temp and also check there isn't an option for enabling onboard sound in the BIOS. Steve