LOW FPS Guild Wars 2

88Jonsson

Hey guys,

I recently purchased GW2 and I'm experiencing low fps. I'm getting anything from 15-25 fps with everything on high and around 27-30 on medium. My drivers and everything are updated. I'm playing on a 20'' monitor, the resolution is 1600x900. Is anyone here experiencing this problem?

Is my system to blame here or is it something else?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Troncoso

VIP Member
Guild Wars 2 suffers from a lack of optimization. As well, it's very CPU heavy.
I experienced a similar issue (with much worse frame rates), and it turned out my system was running too hot, which caused my CPU/GPU to throttle. So, I'd recommend checking your temps and making sure that's not an issue.

Finally, to get the best balance of performance and appearance, use the recommended settings in Guild Wars 2. If you are hitting between 25-30 FPS, it should be smooth enough that it doesn't cause issues playing the game.

Darren

Staff member
Yeah it's really CPU heavy. I'm not at home but there are a few things to turn down. I was able to tweak mine so I get about 40fps average or so outside in explorable areas. WvW are another matter and that's bogs down. But yes it's horribly CPU heavy. I did upgrade my GPU from a 5770 to a 7850 and I did get better performance, but the CPU makes the most difference. I actually need to try it now since I've overclocked from 3.2 to 4.0 and see how much it helps.

I think reflections should be turned down (I think that helps the most). Then like sampling rate or something like that. Has an option of Supersample. Those 2 things use a lot of performance and look marginally better.

Troncoso

VIP Member
Yeah it's really CPU heavy. I'm not at home but there are a few things to turn down. I was able to tweak mine so I get about 40fps average or so outside in explorable areas. WvW are another matter and that's bogs down. But yes it's horribly CPU heavy. I did upgrade my GPU from a 5770 to a 7850 and I did get better performance, but the CPU makes the most difference. I actually need to try it now since I've overclocked from 3.2 to 4.0 and see how much it helps.

I think reflections should be turned down (I think that helps the most). Then like sampling rate or something like that. Has an option of Supersample. Those 2 things use a lot of performance and look marginally better.

Supersampling will reduce performance. It should be set to native, or subsampling.

88Jonsson

Guild Wars 2 suffers from a lack of optimization. As well, it's very CPU heavy.
I experienced a similar issue (with much worse frame rates), and it turned out my system was running too hot, which caused my CPU/GPU to throttle. So, I'd recommend checking your temps and making sure that's not an issue.

Finally, to get the best balance of performance and appearance, use the recommended settings in Guild Wars 2. If you are hitting between 25-30 FPS, it should be smooth enough that it doesn't cause issues playing the game.

Thanks. I will check my temps when I get home and report back. I use the "auto-detect" setting and the game runs smoothly on high at 20-25 FPS which is at least playable. I was expecting to get more then that out of my system though.

88Jonsson

While playing my cpu maxes at 60c which seems a bit high.

My GPU makes around the same while playing

I went into the graphic setting and turned off high res character textures and turned rendering sampling to subsample and it seemed to help alot.

jonnyp11

While playing my cpu maxes at 60c which seems a bit high.

My GPU makes around the same while playing

I went into the graphic setting and turned off high res character textures and turned rendering sampling to subsample and it seemed to help alot.

Yeah thats almost damaging it

Pretty sure my 470 and 960t max itfine with good temps IIRC and thats at a lower resolution too. Think i heard it is an nvidia game really

88Jonsson

Yeah thats almost damaging it

Pretty sure my 470 and 960t max itfine with good temps IIRC and thats at a lower resolution too. Think i heard it is an nvidia game really

I removed the thermal compound and replaced it with some as5 and it doesn't go past 55c while gaming now. That should be good enough until i replace this Thermatake TR2-R1 with something more efficient.

Darren

Staff member
60's fine for that chip. Preferably keep it lower but it shouldn't hurt it. Mine would hit the 60's regularly with the stock cooler and I never had issues. However now that I've moved to a CM 212+ cooler it never really gets much higher than the low 50's and it's still got a huge overclock on it compared to what it was before. Went from 3.2 to 4.0 GHz on a 955. The 965 I think is a slightly different chip but overall it's pretty much the same.