Mac vs. Windows

jewunit815

Hey guys, i need to know you opinon. Is a mac based Apple laptop (macbook) really worth $300-$400 more than a windows based laptop (likely the hp dv2000t)???

jewunit815

so i'd be better off saving my 300-400 dollars and getting the HP dv2000t over the macbook? and also do you know of any good slideshow/presentation software for windows besides microsoft powerpoint?

Technogab

so i'd be better off saving my 300-400 dollars and getting the HP dv2000t over the macbook? and also do you know of any good slideshow/presentation software for windows besides microsoft powerpoint?
It depends on what you are using it for. I use both. The software that comes on the Mac is amazing. With Windows, I had to purchase programs for video editing, audio recording/editing, burning home movies etc. That will cost you much more than the price difference of a Mac and a PC.

Plus with a Mac, you dont get any spyware or viruses and the computer runs rock solid. You hardly ever have to reboot it. In fact, I reboot my Macbook maybe once a month and not because I have to, just because I think that I should (if that makes any sense)

Now I'm no Apple fanboy, but I work on Windows computers all day, and used to swear by them at home, but I switched my home PC's to Mac's 2 years ago, and I never had a problem. My wife never has any problems with it and it always does what she wants it to. There's a saying that Apple uses "It just works!" And believe me, it does.

So it really depends on what you will be using it for. For me, the extra price was worth it, because in 2 years, I haven't had to re-install the OS, or troubleshoot the computer, it always worked flawlessly. And I haven't had to buy 1 piece of software yet, because Apple gives you very powerful programs for Music, Video, and Audio editing.

Good luck

Geoff

VIP Member
Personally I would go with the HP because it's cheaper, cheaper/easier to upgrade, and is compatible with much more software and games.

computerhakk

VIP Member
Well, a pc will be able to handle most of what you want to do in everyday life. However, it depends if you are actually pursuing something such as you are a designer (graphics, art, etc.) or heavy gamer and what not. As I said a pc will be able to handle almost everything, but if you are leaning towards designing and what not, maybe media, a mac would be a better choice. All others, a pc could probably do.

matt3118

I'm in love with the macbook pro. I plan the get one as soon as i win $2000. They are amazing in person. They are fast, reliable, and SO EASY to use. There are hardly ever problems with something not working easily. You can even get right click mouses for them!

the master

best of both world

Actually you can buy a mac (which has an intel processor, new models have that option.) if you have enough money for it. And you can install windows to that mac as well. Have you heard "boot camp"? I need to remind if you do this you have to buy a windows xp, so this will make the total prize a bit higher. (And installing the windows can be a bit tricky if you are new to this type of things.)
This way you can have best of both worlds.
But if you like windows and you think it is enough for your needs, you should buy the other one. Because that will be cheaper and more useful.

Pck21

Actually you can buy a mac (which has an intel processor, new models have that option.) if you have enough money for it. And you can install windows to that mac as well. Have you heard "boot camp"? I need to remind if you do this you have to buy a windows xp, so this will make the total prize a bit higher. (And installing the windows can be a bit tricky if you are new to this type of things.)
This way you can have best of both worlds.
But if you like windows and you think it is enough for your needs, you should buy the other one. Because that will be cheaper and more useful.

Actually you can get Parellels (I think it's called) and run Windows, Linux, etc, along with Mac OS X without switching. I just ordered a Macbook Pro with the C2D processor like 2 days ago and it should be arriving next week.

As far as the topic question, it's all about what you're going to be doing with it. Macs are gaining more and more momentum and respect in the computing community. They are reliable and easy to use. OS X, which is based off of Unix, is one of the most rock solid OS's on the market. You can also get Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc for Macs as well. Apple sells it online at it's store. Actually I bought that as well along with the other program. I think Macs are better for productivity. As for games and the multitudes of programs and software, a Windows based machine is the way to go. It's completely up to you. But do your homework on both OS's first before you make the decision. Let me put it this way: I have a Dell Laptop that recently crapped out on me and now I have to spend an extra $100 or more to get a new hard drive and recover my lost data. The laptop, which has XP Home, has had at least 2 viruses and numerous spyware, no matter how much antiviruse and antispyware software I have installed. A friend of mine who bought a Macbook around the same time, maybe a little after, has had no spyware or viruses and does not have the software on his Mac. He doesn't need it. The thing has outperformed my machine by leaps and bounds. Maybe not in games, but most laptops aren't made for that. I'm not an Apple fanboy either, but I know a superior product when i see one.

mpic92

I own an iMac desktop, a Windows desktop, and two windows laptops in my house. The Mac is definatley the most special computer since unlike the others, I never have to worry about it freezing or anything, no virus' or spyware, and it's always running perfectly with no un explained problems. I got it 2 years ago so it came with a good PowerPC processor but no Intel. Man, I wish I got the Core 2 Duo but what can you do, it wasn't out then. Still, I find it to be an amazing computer... just the way it operates and the convenience for my family, the fantastic free software it comes with, etc.

A month ago, I needed to get a new laptop. I got a Windows HP dv9000t. Why not a Mac? Well a personal laptop for myself is a bit different then a main family desktop. I didn't want to have any compatibility issues and such and this computer was such a great value coming out a little less than $2,000 (specs in my sig). For your purposes, if you want a cheap decent laptop, go with a Windows... but also remember that Mac does have Microsoft Office which is 100% compatible with the Windows Microsoft Office.