Major computer problem!

guitarstorm93

I have a Dell desktop (Windows XP) that I got in October 2005, and yesterday it decided to die on me. I was on it for only a few minutes, when it froze. I tried waiting a few minutes to see if it would clear up, but it didn't. Then i started hearing some strange noises coming from the tower. The screen went blue, saying Windows has encountered a serious error and needs to shut down... The message said something to the effect of "beginning physical dump of memory." This has happened before, but then when i tried to restart my computer, there was a clicking sound coming from the tower. The message i get on my screen says "Primary drive 0 not found," and then it says to press F1 to continue or F2 to run the setup utility. Pressing F1 doesn't work, the tower makes a "beep" and that's it. I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me what happened and if/how i could get my computer out of its coma. Thanks!

bkribbs

Eek! I don't know much about backups at all... There are some files on my desktop that I need. How do I do this?:confused:

Well, if your hard drive is completely dead, which that is what it sounds like it is, then you can't. If it isn't completely dead, you could get a USB adapter to make your hdd external. Or take it to a computer store and have them do it for you.