making a web browser

OvenMaster

VIP Member
No offense, man, but why re-invent the wheel? FF, IE, Opera, Mozilla, Netscape... right there are five free browsers that took whole teams years to write, get the bugs out, add features. Say you wrote a browser. It'd take a few years to do it, and by the time it got finished, it'd be obsolete the day you fired it up to start browsing.
Tom

foreyes

I think it's a great idea as a learning experience and to be able to feel that you have accomplished something. My C++ programming class wrote our own browsers in high school and we used Borland Visual C++. However, a free C++ editor is Bloodshed Dev-C++, so you might want to check that out.

Arm_Pit

banned
OvenMaster said:
No offense, man, but why re-invent the wheel? FF, IE, Opera, Mozilla, Netscape... right there are five free browsers that took whole teams years to write, get the bugs out, add features. Say you wrote a browser. It'd take a few years to do it, and by the time it got finished, it'd be obsolete the day you fired it up to start browsing.
Tom
You could have said the same thing about all of those browsers you mentioned, and who says hes making this for the open maket anyways? Sometimes things are for fun and personal pleasure.

OvenMaster

VIP Member
Granted. Sorry. I seem to be stepping on toes lately, and not just here at CF. I think I'll stick to facts instead of spouting opinions, at least for a while.
Tom