Making sure this processor works with my Motherboard

racer13fly

Hi, I currently have the AMD Athlon 64 Processor (3500+ 1.77GHz socket 939) and the A8AE-LE AmberineM Motherboard (viewable here).
I'm posting because I've been looking to get a new and faster processor. I was able to find these two that should work: The Athlon 64 4000+ model and the Athlon 64 x2 4800+ model (both socket 939 of course). I just want to first make sure they both will work with my motherboard, even though I see the stats are shown that they will work, I just want to be sure they will work (a "better safe than sorry" situation). Especially with the revision type, what does that mean? And do you think it's worth the extra $ for the dual core version? I'm not sure if I'll really need all that extra processing power, although I do a lot of building of programs and games, which is pretty annoying slow with my current processor (I'm going into computer programming and I've been learning game production and design).
Thanks in advance! :)

Last edited:

Euklid

A dual-core for $250? Madness!!! You can get a quad-core for $130. This is what
happens when you buy old parts - you have to pay premium because no one
manufactures them anymore. If you upgrade your motherboard (for as little as $60 to
$130), you can get a dual-core AM2+ (2x 2.5ghz) for $50.

The same with ram. To buy a 1GB stick of old ram costs $50. Or if you buy modern
ram that is faster - you get 4GB (2 sticks x 2GB) for $30.

I just upgraded a single core from 1.7ghz to 2.66ghz. Pointless! No improvement. There
is still too little ram on that computer - only 512mb. And it still can't multi-task like a
dual-core cpu. Yes, dual-core is a huge step up in performance.

Last edited:

Bodaggit23

If I was going to waste money on a new Socket 939, I would only waste it on a Dual Core cpu.

And since the Dual Core Socket 939 cpu's are out dated, I would choose to spend my money on a new board, cpu, and RAM.

Consider this:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ 2.7GHz Socket AM2 ($49.00)
OEM - Use your current heatsink fan.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103218

Foxconn M61PMV AM2+/AM2 Motherboard ($49.99)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186155

Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 ($26.99 each)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220174

Total = $125.98 plus shipping for whole new computer basically, that will well outperform your current rig.

Euklid

Watch out with OEM processors. Retail CPU usually has 3 year warranty. But OEM
only has 30 days I think.

racer13fly

I was actually planning on making a home-built computer soon, I was just wanting to get a new processor for this current computer for what I currently do faster and for a few other things that would possibly require a faster processor. I might just go for the Clawhammer Single-Core CPU.
And wasn't the question "Will these work?" I'm just saying because it seems I was given financial advise instead an answer to my question. And I did know already that the dual-core Clawhammer was a rip-off, I was just kind of curious of if it would work, lol :D
Thanks then.

bomberboysk

I was actually planning on making a home-built computer soon, I was just wanting to get a new processor for this current computer for what I currently do faster and for a few other things that would possibly require a faster processor. I might just go for the Clawhammer Single-Core CPU.
And wasn't the question "Will these work?" I'm just saying because it seems I was given financial advise instead an answer to my question. And I did know already that the dual-core Clawhammer was a rip-off, I was just kind of curious of if it would work, lol :D
Thanks then.
Well, its not that, but its that (most of us) we dont like to see people overpaying, when they can get something so much better at the same or lower cost;)

racer13fly

Go ahead and waste your money. You won't see much improvement.

You answered your own question with the links you posted, so not even
sure why you created this thread. :confused:

I did say I am only getting the single core clawhammer, and from 1.77GHZ to 2.4GHz, I think there would be much improvement from that.
And I created the thread to make sure that they would work, because I'm a computer hardware nub (but I am a computer software pro, lol :p). And I guess you're right about me answering my own question, lol. I'm surprised I didn't quite see that entirely lol.
And one last question: Are there any things I have to do software-wise before or after the putting in of he new processor. Example: when a video card is put in, you have to install a driver. does anything like that have to happen with a CPU? or is it like RAM where its like plug-and-play?
Thanks, and any admins or moderators who see this can close this thread after that last question is answered.

Bodaggit23

And one last question: Are there any things I have to do software-wise before or after the putting in of he new processor.

It should be plug and play.

Just make sure to do some research on how to clean and reapply the thermal paste to the heatsink.