Mininova Goes Legal

Twist86

Yep the future will be private invite only sites :p

Another mininova will pop up though but they been busy....PirateBay and now Mininova its interesting to read. I am not looking forward to the day the put "laws" on the internet.

G25r8cer

Another mininova will pop up though but they been busy....PirateBay and now Mininova its interesting to read. I am not looking forward to the day the put "laws" on the internet.

Agree Private sites are way more safe and are the future

mac550

God help us if that happens, the internet is the only place left that people can be themselves, thus should not be bound by any laws (apart from indecent images/videos of underage people) IMO.

linkin

VIP Member
^^ I agree. the internet is for everbody and anything. there should not be laws restrcting it's use.

bomberboysk

^^ I agree. the internet is for everbody and anything. there should not be laws restrcting it's use.
Just like anywhere else....Copyright laws always apply, just because you are on a computer does not exempt you from laws.

The only time i use torrents is for content distribution(eg- Linux distros that are free)

ScOuT

VIP Member
I think it is wonderful sites like Mininova realize what they are doing and fix themselves. That's been a popular one for a while now...tons of illegal stuff has been transmitted through that site.

I am glad Pirate's Bay went under to, it is nice to see the Feds catching these people.

Maybe if all this crap wasn't so expensive people would actually buy it.

8 times out of 10...they are just trying to break even and make a profit from their work.

If people can't afford something...people need to learn to deal without it. If I want a 745 BMW I don't steal it...I drive what I have. I want to learn how to use Photoshop, but I can't afford the hefty price tag for such a great program:( So I use GIMP instead:)

People don't realize the years and tons of money it takes to develop something (movies, software, games, ect...) Companies have to pay millions of dollars for those things to develop into a products just to have some low life broke dude hack it all to pieces and throw it up on the web.

I wish there was a super virus that the Feds could bury in illegal files and throw up torents for them. People know when they click a button if it is illegal or not. The virus would short out their entire computer and ruin everything:D

Aastii

VIP Member
I think it is wonderful sites like Mininova realize what they are doing and fix themselves. That's been a popular one for a while now...tons of illegal stuff has been transmitted through that site.

I am glad Pirate's Bay went under to, it is nice to see the Feds catching these people.

8 times out of 10...they are just trying to break even and make a profit from their work.

If people can't afford something...people need to learn to deal without it. If I want a 745 BMW I don't steal it...I drive what I have. I want to learn how to use Photoshop, but I can't afford the hefty price tag for such a great program:( So I use GIMP instead:)

People don't realize the years and tons of money it takes to develop something (movies, software, games, ect...) Companies have to pay millions of dollars for those things to develop into a products just to have some low life broke dude hack it all to pieces and throw it up on the web.

I wish there was a super virus that the Feds could bury in illegal files and throw up torents for them. People know when they click a button if it is illegal or not. The virus would short out their entire computer and ruin everything:D

I agree with you, except for that statement, in which I agree with linkin on completely.

If thes greedy sobs that get paid to sit in a recording studio for a few hours a day for a couple of weeks and maybe do a live show for a couple hours a night realised they can work for half of the ridiculous amount they get paid, everything would be ok.

If actors realised they don't NEED designer suits and dresses and they don't NEED to be seen in flash cars and in a different outfit every time they are seen, everything would be ok.

but the ridiculous wages these people get is stupid, they don't deserve a tenth of it, so how they can complain that on the last album they only got $2m instead of $10m, i don't know, they need to realise they aren't doctors and nurses, they aren't firemen, they aren't people who atually amtter in the world, they are greedy ****s that deserve maybe just over minimum wage at best, anyone could do what they do with a little bit of work, if they didn't sing that song or act in that part, some other guy would, it isn't a position that is difficult to fill yet they act like it is.

I am happy to see another torrent site of the net, but how exactly these stupid people can complain is beyond me

bomberboysk

I agree with you, except for that statement, in which I agree with linkin on completely.

If thes greedy sobs that get paid to sit in a recording studio for a few hours a day for a couple of weeks and maybe do a live show for a couple hours a night realised they can work for half of the ridiculous amount they get paid, everything would be ok.

If actors realised they don't NEED designer suits and dresses and they don't NEED to be seen in flash cars and in a different outfit every time they are seen, everything would be ok.

but the ridiculous wages these people get is stupid, they don't deserve a tenth of it, so how they can complain that on the last album they only got $2m instead of $10m, i don't know, they need to realise they aren't doctors and nurses, they aren't firemen, they aren't people who atually amtter in the world, they are greedy ****s that deserve maybe just over minimum wage at best, anyone could do what they do with a little bit of work, if they didn't sing that song or act in that part, some other guy would, it isn't a position that is difficult to fill yet they act like it is.

I am happy to see another torrent site of the net, but how exactly these stupid people can complain is beyond me
If piracy went down or stopped, prices would lower because more products would be sold. Eg- piracy hurts not only the company, but you as a consumer. And what scout and linkin were referring to was more software piracy vs music/video from what i read, however i feel that all piracy is piracy, and should be dealt with.

Aastii

VIP Member
If piracy went down or stopped, prices would lower because more products would be sold. Eg- piracy hurts not only the company, but you as a consumer. And what scout and linkin were referring to was more software piracy vs music/video from what i read, however i feel that all piracy is piracy, and should be dealt with.

they know that people are used to paying extautionate prices for films, music, software etc anyway, you think they would drop that now?

Hell no, they would leave it the same and rake in more money. I understand 100% why people would torrent stuff because it is infuriating the amount of money these people get, yet they all maintain "I don't do it for money, it is all for the fans/fame" My right nut it is

Twist86

Not true...they are greedy...prices would be the same but their yearly income would be MAYBE a little higher.
I have NEVER seen a company such as UBI say "thanks for breaking 2 million copies sold on Fail Cry 2 here is $10 off our next game" you never will either.

Greed and the lack of effort on games is what really ruins sales....EA treated me like a pirate and now I refuse to buy their games just to screw them over. If I can't live without it I will buy it USED on Ebay...I even ask the seller if its been opened to make sure.

I mean look how many remakes are in theaters anymore....or some "blow shit up and some bimbo for TnA " make a great movie? 2012 is a perfect example...no storyline just a bunch of destruction while its cool its mindless and thus people stop paying $10 a head to go see them.

Last edited:

linkin

VIP Member
I have a question: now that mininova is legal, does that means we can discuss legal torrents?

Probably not i'm thinking.

bomberboysk

Not true...they are greedy...prices would be the same but their yearly income would be MAYBE a little higher.
I have NEVER seen a company such as UBI say "thanks for breaking 2 million copies sold on Fail Cry 2 here is $10 off our next game" you never will either.

Greed and the lack of effort on games is what really ruins sales....EA treated me like a pirate and now I refuse to buy their games just to screw them over. If I can't live without it I will buy it USED on Ebay...I even ask the seller if its been opened to make sure.

I mean look how many remakes are in theaters anymore....or some "blow shit up and some bimbo for TnA " make a great movie? 2012 is a perfect example...no storyline just a bunch of destruction while its cool its mindless and thus people stop paying $10 a head to go see them.
Incorrect, just going off an hypothetical number here, lets say for every 2 legal copies of a game, there is a single pirated copy. That is a 33% loss for game creators, who after development costs on the products do not have a large profit margin until a good number of units of the product has sold in the first place. Due to piracy however, they can sell games for what they want, know that many people will still buy the product, and that people will still pirate their products no matter what it costs.

The only real way to know what would happen is if piracy came to an end, piracy is theft. As with what scout said about stealing a car, when you pirate something you are stealing whether it is a virtual media file, program, or a physical object such as a car. For those that think piracy is ok, answer this question, would you walk into a store and steal a game off a shelf? When you pirate a product that is essentially what you are doing.

I have a question: now that mininova is legal, does that means we can discuss legal torrents?

Probably not i'm thinking.
There has never been any restriction on discussion of legal, content distribution torrents.

G25r8cer

Legal torrents and sites are ok to talk about. Torrent clients are also ok to talk about. Illegal torrents/sites are NOT ok to talk about.

Hope this helps

f.i.t.h

Incorrect, just going off an hypothetical number here, lets say for every 2 legal copies of a game, there is a single pirated copy. That is a 33% loss for game creators, who after development costs on the products do not have a large profit margin until a good number of units of the product has sold in the first place.

This is what I don't understand, do you really think that everyone who pirates something will buy it if they are not able to get it for free?
If there is a game that someone isn't sure they would like, they are not going to spend $100 to buy it. They will just end up borrowing it from a friend or buy it used on eBay, with no money going to developers. This concept would best be applied to the music industry, people are not going to drop $30 to buy a record from some new band that nobody has ever heard of. What would happen to the music industry then?

Just because something is pirated, doesn't mean it is a lost sale. Sticking with music, if I get an album from some private tracker, and I like the band, and end up downloading the rest of their music, sure the band loses a small amount of money, but if I like the band, I will go see them if they play NZ, plus I always buy merch, they make a shit lot more off the pirate then someone who buys one record, thinks its ok, but not good enough to drop $30 on another one of their albums, this whole anti-piracy thing (with music (apps & games are a different story)) is just the record labels trying to stay alive. Mind you, they are ****ed no matter what they do, if they keep pushing the latest generic pop artist that can't even sing, how long do you think they will last.