Modem Question...

BrandonL

Can you run some type of splitter from a modem so u can thread your internet connection to two computers? b/c i have a verison DSL modem box and it's hooked up to my PC but soon im getting another PC so i wanted to run internet to that too, hopefully from the modem. feedbackkkkkkkk

pip22

You need what's called a "router" which sits between your PC and modem, then you plug the other PC directly into the router. To keep things tidy and simpler, a better deal is to get a router with ADSL modem built-in, which you connect to your phone-line then connect both computers to the new router. The existing router then becomes obsolete.

An even better upgrade (and the best), is to get a wireless router/adsl modem combined, plus a wireless adaptor for the second PC. Your main PC plugs into the router/modem with ethernet cable, second PC connects via it's wireless adaptor. This setup is especially handy if the second PC is in a separate room where a wired connection is impractical.

BrandonL

oh okay... well you kind of just told me alot of things i already knew. The question i was asking is if i could run some kind of splitter from my dsl modem box to two computers so they would both have internet.

tlarkin

VIP Member
A router will have a 5 port switch in it which allows up to 5 wired clients connecting to it sharing the internet. There is no ethernet splitter or anything of the like.

Depending on how your DSL is set up, depends on how you need to set up the router

StrangleHold

Staff member
How Do I Connect Two PCs Together?

If all you want to do is connect two computers together to form a small network, a simple network configuration like that shown in Figure 2 is all you need.
hni_fig2.gif

Figure 2

If you're not using a hub, switch, or router to connect the two PCs, you need to use a cross-over cable. Since these are far less commonly used than straight-through cables and the two are not interchangeable, it's a good idea to clearly mark the cable as a cross-over cable. I like to keep one around the house for quickly connecting up two computers, but it's easy to get it confused with regular cables. So I bought my cross-over cable in a nice bright red colour.
Then, if you want to connect them both to the Internet, you need to turn on Internet Connection Sharing on one of the computers