monitor does not turn on at windows vista login after installing driver

Coogie

Hi... i installed my driver for my graphics card:

Sapphire HD 4850 512MB GDDR3 Dual DVI Dual slot cooler HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card

After installing the driver. I restart and the monitor works all the way up to 'loading windows vista' then as it's about to go into vista, the monitor turns off! And the only way to get it to work is to go into safe mode

How can i get around this?!

I am using a old apple G4 monitor which works off my new laptop fine...

NightTech

Ok..first off, you need some more information. How is the monitor hooked up to the video card in your computer? since it's an apple monitor, and apple offers their own proprietary apple display connector interface, you could be using some type of adapter that isn't compatible. If it's strictly vga, you may need to install the display driver for the monitor. The main thing is you didn't provide a model number for the monitor. It could simply be you are using the wrong type of cable. Please post the monitor info and we can better help you :).

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
I am using a old apple G4 monitor which works off my new laptop fine...
Try booting up in safe mode and lower the resolution to, say, 800x600 or something generic, 60hz refresh rate. Try to boot up normal - if it works, some settings were just turned up too high for the monitor - if it didn't, try removing and then reinstalling the drivers (in safe mode, of course).

Coogie

Hi there, I cannot figure out how to set 60hz refresh rate. How do i do this?

The options are very restricted...

chibicitiberiu

Vista or XP? I can tell you in xp how.
Right click on the desktop, go to properties. Under the "settings" tab click the "Advanced" button, select the "Monitor" tab and select your refresh rate from there.
On vista, I think you have to go to the desktop preferences (don't know exactly how called in vista), select Monitor Settings i think from that list click "advanced" etc.

Coogie

hi there

I check out what monitor it is.

It is an Apple Cinema Display Monitor 22 inch (pic included)
http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/sc/21048608-2-440-overview-1.gif

The converter i use is DVI to ADC

There are two connections in the back of my graphics card (brand new), which i think are ADC ?

It works in safe mode and for the BIOS etc. Also it works in normal vista when i havent installed the graphics card drivers....

The display properties are extremely basic so i dont think i can change the hz :-(

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
There are two connections in the back of my graphics card (brand new), which i think are ADC ?
Have you tried the other connector (assuming they're identical)? It might be that you've plugged the monitor into the connector for 2nd monitor and you don't have multiple monitors set up, so you don't get any picture...

chibicitiberiu

Try deactivating "Hide modes that this monitor can't display". There should appear more frequencies. But remember, do NOT select one higher than your monitor can display (read the manual).

"Default" could appear because the monitor is not recognized. If that's the problem, than the "Hide modes ..." button can't be pressed.

Press the Properties button (same window), and make sure it is activated. If yes, under Driver tab click "Update Driver".

Make sure the CD with the driver is inside the CD-ROM drive.
Select "No, not this time" when asked if you want to go to Windows Update to search for software.
Select than the automatic mode. It should find the driver on the cd.
If not, select manually the CD drive: select the manual mode at the same window.
Select "Search for best driver in these locations", turn off "Search removable media" and turn on "Include this location in the search". Select your cd drive and press next.
It should find the driver on the cd.

Coogie

Hi thanks for all the help

none of that works. It wont even let me unselect the hide modes it doesnt support

I will just buy a new monitor

can anyone recommend a good monitor at a good price from ebuyer.co.uk dabs.co.uk or amazon.co.uk?

I dont want to spend too much or go over 20", but also dont want a crap monitor :)

Coogie

this problem is incredibly strange

updated latest driver... still i cannot use standby because the computer doesnt seem to wake up the screen. I've tried a week of shutting down and it's a shit life. I like to be greenish, but standby green not shutting down green.

i'm going to break something else in the computer soon