more than one antivirus ;)

diroga

Typically running more than one antivirus at the same time on a windows computer will cause problems and result. But I thought up a way you could run more than one.

What you do is install a virutal machine like virutalbox. Install multiple copies of windows. On each windows install an antivirus, like AVG, Avast, ClamWind, etc. Next set your harddrive as a networked drive. So now you have has multiple AV's installed and have them scan your harddrive. You can also have all your files you download pass through the VM's and have thier AV scan the files.

The problems with this is that it is a lot of time to setup, it wont provide live system checking, and you could probably do it by installing all the AV's on one copy of windows but turn off live scan on all but one.

any thoughts? :D

sshaggy

Nice post, but what is the use of having multiple AVs??

I think everyone here is happy with one antivirus.

And if any one is unhappy, the he/she uninstalls it and installs any other antivirus and again becomes happy.:p:D

Ur method is lot of time consuming.
Better get trial versions of different antivirus and install them one by one. Then scan with each antivirus and decide urself, which one u are going to keep.

Most antivirus have almost the same virus catching capablity with a slight ups and downs. Other things which also matter is scanning speed, user interaction, ease of use etc etc.

well i am happy with my Avira Premium and ocassionaly i test other AVs along with avira, coz avira never conflicts with any other AVs.

diroga

its for absolute security. something bad could get by one AV so you can have like 5 AV's scan your harddrive.

Also im thinking about doing it just to test out differnt AV's and >.>

sshaggy

If anyone is intended to have 5 AVs in one system simultaneoulsly, he is either a researcher on "antivirus' planning to crashing a computer" or a real jerk.

Also im thinking about doing it just to test out differnt AV's and >.>
And if u wanna test antivirus, better install them one by one and test each.

Well as for ur topic, i dont think anyone need more than one good & regularly updated antivirus.

wardhanster

by my side.... using 2 AV's is not a big prob as i use both Avira and Avg... they never have conflict... and if u have more gb's on your ram... u can give multiple av's a try...
a word of CAUTION!! Using multiple av's can be memory consuming, so select wisely which antiviruse should be your primary weapon, then select your secondary av and then configure the secondary av's services. enable the services u want to use and dissable the rest... this way u will be saving ram...
for my config Avira is my primary av and avg is secondary, Avira provides most of the security solution while avg provides boot time scan and solution...