Most Unlucky Computer Owner?

Macrocious

Hello, I'm new to this forum, and I have some questions to ask, and a little back story to tell. Some of this wont make sense unless you read the whole thing so grab a beverage and read on! :D

Okay, so my story of unfortunate events begins in early 2013. I had first bought a pre-built computer from CyberpowerPC and to say the least it was complete crap. At the end of 2013 towards X-Mas I asked for a list of computer parts, and X-Mas came around along with the parts. I'm pretty well educated on computers and the functions of them, so building computers isn't a challenge at all for me. (Except for cable management :p) Anyways, I had put together all of my computer components and everything was riding smooth up until I realized that my graphics card performance was lower then it should have been, so there was the first RMA. I had RMA'd it, and they sent a refurbished/replacement card which then had another problem, that problem being Coil Whine. I didn't really care about it for the first few weeks, then it began to get on my nerves extremely bad, so I setup an RMA process but I was too lazy to send it in because I would be bored without playing games with my friends, and etc..

Time passes, I still have the Coil Whine'n graphics card and I decide I want a new case to complete my computers looks. I go out and buy a new case, I receive the new case, and the case is damaged, scratched up, paint was chipped, and the grill mesh was bent, although I didn't really notice all of these fine details until I began placing my components inside of the computer case. After I had realized that the computer case was damaged, I had to then RMA that case too! Upon RMA'ing that case I had left my Motherboards I/O Shield still in tact, where I have no clue if I'm going to be getting it back or not even though I notified Newegg about it. Anyways, I was bored so I decided to put the components I had inside of my older case, and the motherboard without the I/O Shield as well, and then I noticed yet ANOTHER problem! :mad: The power supply had this really annoying high-pitched sounding screech that would continuously produce sound at idle, and load. The pitch doesn't really raise or change, it's just this annoying continuous sound that will seem to break up for a few seconds, maybe 2-3 seconds, and then continue on again. I found if I unplugged the DVI cable from the graphics card that the sound stopped for 2-3 seconds as well. I'm now thinking that my power supply now also has coil whine, which means both my graphics card and my power supply have sound issues, which really bugs me because I have sensitive hearing to these types of things.

I thought it couldn't get any worse, but oh wait it does, my CPU Fan bearings are shot, and they make this really loud noise when running. Everything in my computer seems like it's starting to fail, and the parts are handled perfectly normal by myself, and have only been used for less then a year so far. Why all this is happening now is beyond my knowledge, maybe it had always been there and I'm just now picking up on some of the finer details, I honestly don't know. I feel like when I fix something, something else breaks. It's just these ongoing events. I really, really, love computers and technology but with all of these bad experiences I'm really getting fed up and annoyed with them all. I'm going to have to RMA my power supply, and my graphics card, then buy a new CPU cooler, all of the shipping/prices are really starting to add up and I'm getting sick and tired of it. Does anyone know why these problems are happening? For only being 15 years of age, all of these funds are really taking an impact on me hard. All I want to do is have a fully-functional computer like all of these people on YouTube do, but no. My luck is not one of the Irish, it's the exact opposite. I feel like just giving up and finding a new hobby but I have too much time invested into all of this that it would be hard to just give it up. :( What do you guys/girls think I should do... :confused:

Here are my FULL-SYSTEM-SPECIFICATIONS:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 Black Edition @3.50Ghz (Stock)
GPU: AMD XFX Core Edition R7850 2GB GDDR5 (Stock)
RAM: Kingston HyperX BLU 8GB (2x4GB) @1600Mhz (Stock)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1000GB (1TB) @7200 RPM
HDD 2: Seagate Barracuda 1000GB (1TB) @7200 RPM
MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev. 4.0
PSU: Corsair CX750M 80+ Bronze Certified.
CD Drive: Super Ritemaster
CASE: Cooler Master HAF 912
MONITOR: ASUS VS208
Recording Software: Fraps
Live Stream Software: OBS

Keyboard: Logitech G510 Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G600 MMO Gaming Mouse
Microphone: Blue Snowball
Speakers: Logitech Speakers
Headset: Turtle Beach PX22 Amplified Gaming Headset
Webcam: Logitech C615 HD Webcam

Last edited:

AnimeDude

Wow, what a story dude. You should just save up for a Alienware desktop. They have this awesome deal going on right now for the Alienware X51.

Details listed below

"Alienware X51™
Now avaliable with 4th Gen Intel® Core™ processors and optional NVIDIA® GTX 760 Ti graphics cards. Enjoy 1080p HD Gaming with our most compact desktop, ever.

Processor Up to 4th Gen Intel® Core™ i7 processors
OS Windows® 8.1 (64Bit)
Graphics NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 745 with 4GB DDR3
Specs Optional 256GB SSD 6Gb/s MAIN + 1TB 7200RPM Storage"

And the best part of it all... its only 699$! For just a mere price, you could own a Beast PC and be like those official Youtube gaming channals. Its just too great of a deal to pass on.

Macrocious

It's been known for CyberPowerPC to use cheap components.

I didn't use the CyberpowerPC, I lilterally bought it and said to hell with it and just never used it, I built my own pc and ordered parts individually, then they all started to fail and I had bad luck, you would've known if you read the whole story lol

spirit

Staff member
Seems like you are not happy at all, and if I am reading your post correctly, you are having some problems with components that you are using in your PC.

Really, the best thing I can recommend you do if they are not working correctly is just to return them to the sellers and just explain what you think the problem is to them. They may send you a replacement or they may refund you so you can buy new parts. There's not really much else I can recommend. It's kind of difficult to fix power supplies yourself because it's a bit risky, but you can replace things like CPU coolers of course. It seems like you are doing that - hopefully when you get the repaired products you will have better luck.

And I think everybody here has had moments when they've thought 'why am I doing this?' when something computer-related doesn't work. I understand that you feel down, but don't give up. Some of us have had far worse things happen to our computers than what you've experienced.

Have you been grounding yourself whilst you're doing all of this stuff? If not, then that could be the cause of some of the problems (just a suggestion).

Wow, what a story dude. You should just save up for a Alienware desktop. They have this awesome deal going on right now for the Alienware X51.

*Sigh* :rolleyes:

Last edited:

fade2green514

step one is to replace all 3 parts.
-amd cpu cooler
-radeon 7850 compatible cooler
-buy a new power supply.

then from there if you want to upgrade you can go ahead.

Macrocious

Seems like you are not happy at all, and if I am reading your post correctly, you are having some problems with components that you are using in your PC.

Really, the best thing I can recommend you do if they are not working correctly is just to return them to the sellers and just explain what you think the problem is to them. They may send you a replacement or they may refund you so you can buy new parts. There's not really much else I can recommend. It's kind of difficult to fix power supplies yourself because it's a bit risky, but you can replace things like CPU coolers of course. It seems like you are doing that - hopefully when you get the repaired products you will have better luck.

And I think everybody here has had moments when they've thought 'why am I doing this?' when something computer-related doesn't work. I understand that you feel down, but don't give up. Some of us have had far worse things happen to our computers than what you've experienced.

Have you been grounding yourself whilst you're doing all of this stuff? If not, then that could be the cause of some of the problems (just a suggestion).

*Sigh* :rolleyes:

Well, I don't have much of a problem with ESD where I live, I've never used a wrist strap but I have ordered 2 from China so who knows when they will be here, apart from that, even if ESD got to a GPU it wouldn't cause it to have coil whine.. And PSU's are protected from ESD by their metal case, and CPU Coolers don't have much that can be damaged from ESD that I know of. I don't use ESD straps but I do ground myself as much as possible when working on computers by touching the case a lot, etc.. I want to RMA all of these things but then again I want to use them at the same time :( I don't know what to do.

I'll pass on the Alienware option, lol. :rolleyes:

wbt50

I had really bad issues when building my first computer also.

Everything seemed to go well, but I had a problem with the dvd-rom, I tried 2 different DVD-Roms and they would just not read any discs. After hours of trying to find what's wrong I ended up installing windows via USB.

Things then went great for 2 weeks, suddenly my computer died on me, suspecting the PSU I bought a PSU tester which said that it was fine. After hours and days of diagnostic I had to return the motherboard and got a replacement no problem.

After re-building on the replacement motherboard, I had major performance issues and diagnosed it as a memory problem. Returned the RAM no problem, however when I received the new RAM, I had no display at all. After days of diagnosing again, I concluded the only possible problem was the replacement motherboard. So I returned it and got a refund to try a different motherboard. Surprise surprise more problems... My SSD had died on me.

After getting a replacement I finally got my build up and running for more than a couple of weeks.

So, my first build wasn't as smooth as i'd thought, took me a couple of weeks of sweat and aggressive cursing to finally get a working computer.

spirit

Staff member
Great to see you around again wbt50, I remember giving you some help when you were going through some of that with your system a while back. :good:

Of course, when you do build yourself there is the risk of things going wrong because obviously you are assembling it from scratch, and you do risk buying faulty components. It happens. I've always been unlucky when buying RAM sticks (regardless of brand) - usually one stick in the set I buy is faulty, or develops a fault - just the way it goes.

I think what you need to do is just take your time and not rush when you assemble it. If you expect these problems and know how to solve them before the problem arises then that will keep you calmer. As said above, start by replacing the faulty parts and go from there.

wbt50

Great to see you around again wbt50, I remember giving you some help when you were going through some of that with your system a while back. :good:

Of course, when you do build yourself there is the risk of things going wrong because obviously you are assembling it from scratch, and you do risk buying faulty components. It happens. I've always been unlucky when buying RAM sticks (regardless of brand) - usually one stick in the set I buy is faulty, or develops a fault - just the way it goes.

I think what you need to do is just take your time and not rush when you assemble it. If you expect these problems and know how to solve them before the problem arises then that will keep you calmer. As said above, start by replacing the faulty parts and go from there.

Good to see you too, to be honest I would have gotten no where without your help. But I have a system that's been working well for over a year now and it was well worth it in the end.

spirit

Staff member
Good to see you too, to be honest I would have gotten no where without your help. But I have a system that's been working well for over a year now and it was well worth it in the end.

Great to hear! :good:

Twiki

It sounded like you have a poorly regulated power supply (read cheap) and it did untold damages to your components.

Always buy/use a good PSU even if you're using cheap parts. A PSU is what can make or break your system. It's a most vital part of your system.

spirit

Staff member
It sounded like you have a poorly regulated power supply (read cheap) and it did untold damages to your components.

Always buy/use a good PSU even if you're using cheap parts. A PSU is what can make or break your system. It's a most vital part of your system.

He bought a Corsair CX 750M. Hardly a low quality power supply!

But he may have ended up with a bad one - you do get the odd one from a good brand that does go wrong. A friend of mine bought an XFX recently that died on him.

Twiki

He may have a defective model but that's still third tier PSU. The TX750 V2 is second tier.

spirit

Staff member
He may have a defective model but that's still third tier PSU. The TX750 V2 is second tier.

Granted, the CX line is at the bottom of Corsair's range but they are still very good power supplies and certainly better quality than any no-name generic power supply he could have potentially ended up with.

I don't think buying a CX line power supply was a 'cheap buy' (in terms of power supplies) and nor do I think it was a bad choice of power supply - I think he may have just ended up with a bad unit. It happens.

Macrocious

This PSU has been trusty and I haven't had any issues with it, apart from that ringing sound that I had literally just recently started to notice so there may be more factors to it, I don't know. I will be RMA'ing my GPU and getting a new CPU Cooler ASAP though.

spirit

Staff member
Probably best to RMA the PSU too if it's producing that weird noise. That's not normal.