Mouse Disconnects Intermittently

Been happening for the last couple of weeks, extremely annoying. I have had no problems with my Logitech g400 (wired USB) mouse until recently. Windows 7 makes the bedoop sound when it happens. The problem doesn't seem to occur on other computers or in safe mode thus must be software related. When the disconnect happens the optic laser is still going so I don't think it has anything to do with the mouse it self. A short in the cable or fault in the USB should turn off the light right? I tried reinstalling drivers and software including the Logitech gaming stuff. I've also looked into the USB power suspension in the "USB root hub" devices within "device manager", but the boxes were already unchecked. Additionally I tried to remove ghost devices in the "device manager" but to no avail. Just today a more severe episode of the problem occurred, which gave me some more info. The mouse disconnected and I got a "USB device failed/unrecognized" error in the system tray. I had to restart the computer whereas usually the mouse connects automatically after a few moments. Any idea about this problem? :confused:

Last edited:

1337dingo

well first off easy way to tell if it is the computer or the mouse,
did you try the mouse in another device?

Thanks for the reply but I have identified the problem. It was the cheap Logitech cord. When it gets twists and bends the mouse momentarily shorts causing Windows to detect a disconnection. I have to carefully manage the cord to prevent this, but have succeeded in doing so. I initially ruled out a short because the optic laser never goes out. However i think the short is so brief that the light never has a chance to turn off. Logitech makes solid mice but pitiful cords!