Mozilla to make their own mobile version of Chrome OS?

NyxCharon

Should be interesting imo. Mozilla makes pretty good software, so it should be fun to watch what they can bring to the table, since they already know what the competitors have.

lucasbytegenius

*finger in throat*

Come on there's already ChromeOS and multiple Linux distros out there, and Mozilla is taking a shot at this? The world really isn't ready for this I think.

Mozilla doesn't have the power Google has to have manufacturers build stuff specifically for their OS, so I bet this will live as an enthusiast toy for a while and then die.

linkin

VIP Member
I still don't approve of their new firefox version number scheme, thanks for starting that GOOGLE -.-

Might have to go back to 3.6.18 in protest, along with the fact that 5.0.1 is bloating it over 700mb with a few tabs open, that's more than the Far Cry 2 game uses when I'm playing it. Totally unacceptable, especially when I only have 4GB on memory.

DMGrier

VIP Member
Well if they plan on using cloud based apps it is just not going to work. I took some time to test the Chrome OS on the Chrome book and it is still not ready because many cloud based apps built into the OS believe it or not and many apps on the Chrome OS do not work unless it is the browser on a Windows or Mac based system. Same issue should arise on the phone.

spynoodle

I still don't approve of their new firefox version number scheme, thanks for starting that GOOGLE -.-

Might have to go back to 3.6.18 in protest, along with the fact that 5.0.1 is bloating it over 700mb with a few tabs open, that's more than the Far Cry 2 game uses when I'm playing it. Totally unacceptable, especially when I only have 4GB on memory.
Seriously? Wow, that would kill my 1gb of RAM. :eek: How did Mozilla not catch that one?

lubo4444

Yup i also noticed that about this version. I kind of like the old version plus the style too. The new style is not really my taste. :(

techdragon

I feel the market is already too crowded with OSes like this. Chrome, the spectrum of Linuxes, it's too much. I like Firefox and all, I use it on every PC I own plus recommend it to people, but they need to take their own unbeaten path.

I like the new Firefox, I enjoy the simplicity of it. Also, you can make it look like the old Firefox if you wanted to. But as for me, I'll stick with the FF5 theme.

DMGrier

VIP Member
I feel the market is already too crowded with OSes like this. Chrome, the spectrum of Linuxes, it's too much. I like Firefox and all, I use it on every PC I own plus recommend it to people, but they need to take their own unbeaten path.

I like the new Firefox, I enjoy the simplicity of it. Also, you can make it look like the old Firefox if you wanted to. But as for me, I'll stick with the FF5 theme.

I do not feel the market is to full, most end users have never even heard of Linux and a there is still a huge number of them that still do not know Chrome OS exist, so in many end users experience there is still only two M$ and Apple. Plus if I read this right it is a mobile OS which there are only a couple out there that are main stream anyway. The actual issue I see is it mentions cloud based apps which mean internet connection and depending in your provider and if you got grand fathered in with your older plan almost all providers with the exception of sprint, new contracts require a limit data plan which means if your OS depends on apps that live in the cloud and you are running out of data that it is going to get very expensive or you are going to lose the functions of your phone.

techdragon

You're right, that was my mistake.

And I do agree with you on the whole cloud apps topic. With most major carriers having limits on data, for heavy users it would be a huge hindrance. In my opinion, I don't particularly like the whole "cloud" idea. I'm a security nut so to me it seems like a huge security risk putting all your information on some server out there where you have no control over it security-wise.