Multi-purpose server build

Quickpaw

Hey all. It's been awhile.

http://secure.newegg.ca/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=25876306

This build is meant to run a bare-metal hypervisor and sport a VM for some game servers (minecraft, terreria, possibly other light game servers) and media, as well as one for a webserver that doesn't have to handle all that much traffic.

Unlikely that I will run more than those two VMs on this unit.

Will be powered on 24/7, so keeping things cool and quiet is important but not an immediate due to my $500 budget. Thinking of introducing a closed loop water cooling system going forward.

At any rate, any suggestions? Things I've overlooked?

beers

Staff member
Shrug. 8 GB seems a little skimpy for a VM server though, it runs out QUICK. Even the 16 GB in my ESXi box feels kind of cramped and I only use a few general-purpose VMs.

Quickpaw

Shrug. 8 GB seems a little skimpy for a VM server though, it runs out QUICK. Even the 16 GB in my ESXi box feels kind of cramped and I only use a few general-purpose VMs.

I can definitely see what you're saying. I only really plan on running the two VMs though, with lightweight linux distros (yet to be decided).
Server 1 - minecraft and terreria, video file sharing,
and Server 2 - light traffic web server.

Do you think I could get away with that? Jumping to 16GB would double the cost of my RAM so I'm trying to avoid it if I can lol.