Multiplier dropping to 9.0

Jonesin31

I just overclocked my i5 to 3.0Ghz by setting my base to 150 and my multiplier to 20. When I load up CPU-Z is shows my multiplier bouncing back and forth from 9 to 21 occasionally. This is the first time that I've ever overclocked. Did I do anything wrong or forget to do something?

ganzey

banned
its called intel speedstep. it underclocks the processor when it is not being used. it is an option in the bios, simply turn it off and it wont happen anymore

CardboardSword

If I'm not mistaken, this would be the features of the i7 at work. When it is idle, it underclocks itself to save power, and when under stress it basically goes into "turbo mode" to overclock itself. The names of both these features escape me for the monent, but I'm sure you get my gist. These features if I'm not mistaken manipulate the multiplier to achieve the altered clocks. Don't think it's cause for worry unless its hurting your performance. You can also turn them off in the bios.

EDIT: Ahh, ganzey beat me to it. That's what I get for taking so long to reply haha.

jarlmaster47

you need to disable a few settings. they are intel speedstep, c1e, and cpu eist function (if ur bios has it). with these disabled, ur cpu will remain at its oc at all times. you won't save much power leaving the comp to underclock itself and it can mess with ur general functioning