My first build - a little wimpy...:/

Matthew22

So I finally got the stuff for my first build on my own but I'm kind of scared to mess things up. is there any way besides from physical damage that I can harm to parts? I heard static electricity is a no no, how can I make sure I'm clear of that? is there more?

Thanks.
Matthew

jamesd1981

well you could buy an anti-static strap or mat, but if you only doing the build as a one off its not worth it, use the inside of the case to anti-static yourself touch the inside every so often, be careful when installing your motherboard make sure you have all the risers in the right place, and finally just take you time and enjoy it.

Method9

Be careful when you seat the CPU into its socket. If the pins are slightly off you might bend the pins on the CPU--which could lead to shorting out the CPU/mobo/etc.

Drenlin

be gentle, dont rush, its not a race, just relax and enjoy the build
+1.

First off, read this thread:
http://www.computerforum.com/104641-how-build-computer-step-step-photos.html

A few tips:

- Hook the system up outside the case before putting it in, to make sure everything works. If you've got a DOA part, it's better to find it before everything is already put together, you know? The box that the motherboard comes in is a good place to do this. Don't put the silver anti-static bag under it, though, since those can sometimes conduct electricity.

- Don't do it on carpet, or in socks...both build static.

- The processor only goes in the socket one way, and gravity is enough to seat it. If you feel like you have to push it in, don't. Instead, check the pins to make sure none are bent, and make sure you're putting it in the right way.

- When you wire everything up, try and put as many cables as possible behind the motherboard tray, if your case allows it. This gives a much cleaner look and helps with airflow.

- The first time you press the power button to turn it on, it probably won't, or if it does, it'll likely do something funny. Don't panic. Everybody misses a connector or something when they first put it together...even experienced builders. The two most common forgotten cables are the CPU power, which is up by the heat sink, and the PCI-e power for the graphics card if it's needed. It's also common to not have the RAM seated correctly.

- Like james said, make sure to have the motherboard standoffs in the right place. They should all line up with a hole on your motherboard.

- Once you put the heat sink on the CPU, don't take it back off unless you really have to. This makes air bubbles in the thermal paste, which makes your CPU run hotter.

linkin

VIP Member
+1.

First off, read this thread:
http://www.computerforum.com/104641-how-build-computer-step-step-photos.html

A few tips:

- Hook the system up outside the case before putting it in, to make sure everything works. If you've got a DOA part, it's better to find it before everything is already put together, you know? The box that the motherboard comes in is a good place to do this. Don't put the silver anti-static bag under it, though, since those can sometimes conduct electricity.

- Don't do it on carpet, or in socks...both build static.

- The processor only goes in the socket one way, and gravity is enough to seat it. If you feel like you have to push it in, don't. Instead, check the pins to make sure none are bent, and make sure you're putting it in the right way.

- When you wire everything up, try and put as many cables as possible behind the motherboard tray, if your case allows it. This gives a much cleaner look and helps with airflow.

- The first time you press the power button to turn it on, it probably won't, or if it does, it'll likely do something funny. Don't panic. Everybody misses a connector or something when they first put it together...even experienced builders. The two most common forgotten cables are the CPU power, which is up by the heat sink, and the PCI-e power for the graphics card if it's needed. It's also common to not have the RAM seated correctly.

- Like james said, make sure to have the motherboard standoffs in the right place. They should all line up with a hole on your motherboard.

- Once you put the heat sink on the CPU, don't take it back off unless you really have to. This makes air bubbles in the thermal paste, which makes your CPU run hotter.

+1

With thermal paste, the best method is to put a rice grain sized amount in the centre of the CPU, and then put the heatsink on. The HSF will do the spreading, give the paste time to cure, and you won't have to do it again for a long time (or if you buy a new cooler)