My GTX 580 SLI review

jgoff14

I got my 2 EVGA GTX 580s installed today, they replaced 2 EVGA GTX 295s. So far I note the following:
295 -Mafia 2 max - physx high 27fps in benchmark
580 -Mafia 2 max - physx high 65fps in benchmark
295 -Mafia 2 max - physx off 109fps in benchmark
580 -Mafia 2 max - physx off 111fps in benchmark

I used to get better with my 295s with physx on but something changed and nobody knows how to fix it so I haven't been using it.

295 -Starcraft 2 max settings 150fps during build up, 40-60fps large battle with 4 insane AI Zerg +18 Ravens, 36 Goliath's, 20 Banshees, 40 Vikings and 16 Siege tanks.
580 -Starcraft 2 max settings 135fps during build up, 80fps minumum during same battle
Both were tried with the same strategy, same enemy, and on Ultimate Campaign Fast Map by Yorae

295 -Rise of Flight Min settings 30fps, choppy performance SLI couldn't be used.
580 -Rise of Flight Max settings 50fps perfectly smooth SLI was on, I haven't tried it off but I heard it will run better so I need to see.

295 -DCS A-10c Min settings unknown frame rate decent performance, minor lag poor graphics. This game really didn't like my 295s no matter what I tried.
580 -DCS A-10c Max settings unknown frame rate, excellent performance no lag BREATHTAKING graphics and detail.

295 -World in Conflict Default Very High settings: Min frame rate 27; Average 76; Max 196 in benchmark I love WIC I can play it over and over. The benchmark does lag out a little for less than 2 seconds when the nuke hits but runs perfect other than that. I have never had trouble in game.
580 -WIC Default Very High: Min 55; Average 112; Max 276. Obviously this is over kill but I do like the benchmark and really wanted to compare the minimums. As I said before there is no problem in game but the 580s do handle it better.

All in all I'm very happy with them and don't regret the purchase at all. I tried to get 3 but newegg had a 2 limit so I'll have to pick up a third in a couple days. The packaging was phenomenal, I felt that they were very safe in the box from newegg and that EVGA did a great job packing them too. I will come back and edit this post with some pics but they are on my laptop upstairs. I can't wait to play some other games to see how they pan out and try the directx 11 in Metro 2033 and Hawx 2.

I really only spent the money on these so I could play Rise of Flight and A-10c. I really enjoyed my 295s and have no real complaints to speak of. They were more than adequate and actually ran cooler in starcraft 2, the 580s were cooler in all other games for some reason. I know its hard for most to justify $1000 to play two games not to mention the $500 for the third one especially when I have $1000 in 295s now on a shelf, but I really enjoy the realism in those games and I think it is safe to say that the investment was worth it. I already can't drag myself away from the flight controls (I have a Saitek x52 pro and Saitek x65 pro if anyone cares). I have also about 20 more games in steam that I haven't gotten loaded up yet so I'll check em out and post back if any major drawbacks or performance increases are noticed. They were a solid choice and I'm glad I didn't get the 590s. The only complaint of the 295s was when I needed to turn SLI off they didn't have the power to play like you expect from $500 cards so I wasn't willing to risk that again. In the future I think I will stick with 3 of the fastest single GPUs unless great advancements are made in quad+ SLI.

Thanks for reading, Jeremy

CardboardSword

Nice results. Impressive that the 580s so handily beats what is effectively 4 cards. I know what you mean about the realism though, I'm a bit of a flight sim nut myself and the hobby quickly becomes a huge money hole for the sake of realism and immersion.

Spesh

Now put some waterblocks on them and overclock them to see what they can really do. I tweaked the Bios on my 580's to increase the voltage for a better OC.

CardboardSword

That's right! Have you tried A-10c and Rise of Flight? They are amazing!

I have RoF, IL-2 1946 and IL-2 CoD (Which leaves some room for improvement but is incredible in many ways as well.) I can't really afford another game right now but A10 is pretty high up on the list of priorities. It seems like one of those perfect sims for the insane amount of difficulty to do even a seemingly simple task, yet massively satisfying when it's done correctly.

jgoff14

Absolutley! I love it. To power up the jet it takes about 40 commands and 5-10 minutes depending on how well you remember it. Great realism.

Intel_man

VIP Member
You should benchmark with Company of Heroes in multiplayer at full settings on a 4v4 map with lots of explosions and artillery fire + tanks and smoke screen deployed. That will definitely stress the cards out.

I don't think I've seen anyone go past 30-40 fps (performance rating bar) in that game after intense battles in multiplayer.