My laptop isn't starting (only the LED light is on)

Purelink9

I just got this laptop about 4 months ago. Samsung Series 7. It was refurbished.

(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_mmc=EMCA-022012-_-ASC-_-Item-_-34-131-223)

MODS:
I installed a samsung SSD and moved the original drive to where the disk drive was using a hard drive caddy.
But while I was doing this I droped a metal screw and something sparked I lifted it up and everything was fine for 2 months. Till now when I started it up and only the led lights up I don't see the fan running either. The laptop does get hot and then I believe run till the powers gone. (that's my guess)
I still have my one year limited warrenty.

Thanks.

Purelink9

It's been changed, and even if I put back all the stuff like it was the original hard drive (which is in where my disk drive used to be) doesn't have the OS on it. Btw I shouldn't tell them that I opened it, right?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
All you can do is send it in and see what they say. There isn't much you can do now.

Purelink9

Samsung and newegg screwed me over. Can I replace the motherboard? I tried putting everything back to how it originally was, but it still doesn't work. WHat can I do. I spent so much money on it and really need it working!!!

Okedokey

Try this.

Shutdown and unplug the laptop.
Remove the battery.
Hold down the ON button for about 30 secs (don't rush this).
Replace the the battery
Plug it in
Try and restart.

NyxCharon

Either take it to a shop where someone can have a look at it, or just buy a new laptop. There's not really any other choice.

Abzu

It sounds to me that the screw created a short circuit on the motherboard and probably burnt out the laptop's disk controller and possibly other circuits too. That's kinda weird though how it took two months for it to crap out like that. Usually, a short circuit will take the computer immediately.

Purelink9

Yeap, the mobo was short circuited and the only motherboard the store could find used or new was selling for the ultra low price of $399 or my first born son. I checked myself and couldn't find it. He suggested I wait at least 2 months and try finding a broken laptop so I can pull the mobo out. What do you guys think? How much could I make with my laptop broken? And if I do should I sell it without my HDD (need it for my desktop)?

Edit: And why so late? btw I learned my lesson.

jaydeee

Based on my experiences that my be because the problematic part is a capacitor which has to get bloated or something before giving up.