my mobo only supports SLI speed of 8X. does it make big difference from SLI 16X?

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
I think you'll find it'll switch to 8x when you have two graphics cards installed. As far as i know a single card will have 16x and the PCI express lanes get switched between the two slots in SLI. I think the benefits of two cards outweight the disadvantages them only having 8 lanes per card

Kilauea

banned
I wouldn't suggest you go SLI in the first place. I saw you have a 8600GT which is far from being a powerful card, having 2 wouldn't be great either. I'm quite sure 1 8800GTS 320mb would beat that card with ease. Going SLI is usually a waste of money because it gives small benefits compared to costs of cards, it costs more in mobo and you need a more powerful PSU because of it. It will not do as well as a next generation card or in your case, as a more powerful one.

Just looking at Tom's hardware charts, 1 8800GTS is about twice as powerful as 1 8600GT. You do not get twice the performance by going SLI, so that's where it ends IMHO.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
The 8800gts is awfully expensive though.. and SLI seems to benefit these lower cards most of all. While he won't see performance as well as a 8800, he will see an increase, all for a third the money of a 8800.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
The 8800gts is awfully expensive though.. and SLI seems to benefit these lower cards most of all. While he won't see performance as well as a 8800, he will see an increase, all for a third the money of a 8800.

Not really, considering the cheapest 8600gt is about 100 bucks after mail in rebate, two of them would be around $200, and the 8800gts costs about $260 after rebates. That's a HUGE improvement for $60.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Not really, considering the cheapest 8600gt is about 100 bucks after mail in rebate, two of them would be around $200, and the 8800gts costs about $260 after rebates. That's a HUGE improvement for $60.

I would totally agree with you if OP (or anyone) was buying both cards at once. But most people I know who SLI buy one card now and another later, when they can afford it. One card would be around a third the price of a 8800.

It's easier on the wallet. All I'm saying. ;)

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
I would totally agree with you if OP (or anyone) was buying both cards at once. But most people I know who SLI buy one card now and another later, when they can afford it. One card would be around a third the price of a 8800.

hmm true. Makes you feel better about it :rolleyes:

pslee

yea exactly. you completely understood my point. I would want to get better card, but i can't just throw away my 8600gt or sell it getting half the price. I would just get another one for sli.