My monitor just simply wont work

So yesterday, I was taking out one of my sticks of ram to see what kind it was. I opened my case to debate whether to take it out now or later, so during that time I decide to put it back, but I accidentally turned it off by having the mother board cable thing (the big main one) wiggle. So I took out one ram stick and looked at it, put it back, but I needed to take out my graphics card to put the ram back, so I took out the graphics card for a moment, put the ram back, then put everything back in order. I try turning it back on, but my monitor says NO SIGNAL, and also my keyboard doesn't turn on but my mouse does. Also something about the start up doesn't sound right, like some other noise is supposed to occur.

So this is what I have tried so far.

Plugging in and out several times
Blowing (with a can) out all of any dust everywhere
Switching around where the mouse, and keyboard are
Tried a different keyboard (no luck there)

and all of this has a negative result.

Could someone help me with this situation?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Unplug power cable
Remove CMOS battery
Press and hold power button for 10 seconds
Replace battery
Make sure all components are correctly seated (RAM/Video Card). Remove and re-seat for good measure. Make sure all power cables leading to motherboard are completely plugged in.
Replace side panel
Replace power cord
Power on

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Remove and reinsert the video card and ram. It also may be possible that you had a build up of static electricity and you zapped something.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Zapping, meaning you killed a component. Try doing this. Build your pc outside of the case to see if it works correctly.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Then it sounds like you zapped something. Might have to take it in to have them figure out what part is bad. My guess is the motherboard.

But the motherboard is fine for USB for the mouse its just the keyboard. But for the monitor are you suggesting that the graphics card is not connecting with the motherboard?

beers

Staff member
It's a not POSTing problem as opposed to a video problem. It's irrelevant that your mouse receives power via USB if the system can't pass enough tests to boot properly.

Did you remember silly things like the 6 pin power connectors on the video card?

Also something about the start up doesn't sound right, like some other noise is supposed to occur.

Usually if you installed the PC speaker (or have an integrated one), passing POST will give you a single 'beep' while booting. This lets you know everything passed properly. If you are no longer getting this beep then it's indicative of another issue.

Ok try this. Remove the keyboard from the usb port and see if computer turns on.
The computer turns on no matter what it is just an issue of the monitor recognizing the computer. Also for Beers, I do not remember hearing a beep every time I start it up even when it is normal.

beers

Staff member
The computer turns on no matter what it is just an issue of the monitor recognizing the computer.

That's an assumption and hasn't been proven otherwise at this point. 'Applying power' is not the same thing as 'functionally booting up'

To the person who just replied, I can get the email for it, but your post didn't show up on the website. Can you try re-posting? If that link actually works, then I will be thrilled!!!!

I have done some thinking, maybe it is like Beers said. I plugged in the keyboard into a different laptop and it worked immediately. And the graphics card wouldn't have anything to report to the monitor if it didn't even boot up. I think what is happening is the OS can't load because either the BIOS is not starting properly to tell it to, or the BIOS can't tell the OS to load because it is not even connected to the hard drive. Can someone help me out?