my new computer website

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
your "high-end hard-core gamer dazzling" PC is equipped with a single 256Mb 7600GT.... ummm, ok, i would like to see that dazzle me playing CSS on full with 8x AA and 16x AF without getting below 90 fps

also

pop-ups = NO
adverts at top = NO
ad's at bottom = NO
using FREE shared hosting from tripod = NO NO NO
Using PayPal to handle credit card transactions = NO

Do yourself a favour and shell out for some proper hosting, design some proper systems and pay out for a full e-commerce front and back-end... WorldPay for example. Then you can call yourself a business and maybe get me to like it

I can garuntee you won't get a single sale from that site...

Also, wth is up with that donate button, c'mon, name me another single PC builder site that puts a donate button on the front page, what kind of image does that give off... "Hey everyone buy this PC cos i cant actually afford to host my own site or buy my own server"... GAH!!

Sorry if that sounded a bit harsh, but well...

Last edited:

s_m_w_d

your "high-end hard-core gamer dazzling" PC is equipped with a single 256Mb 7600GT.... ummm, ok, i would like to see that dazzle me playing CSS on full with 8x AA and 16x AF without getting below 90 fps

also

pop-ups = NO
adverts at top = NO
ad's at bottom = NO
using FREE shared hosting from tripod = NO NO NO
Using PayPal to handle credit card transactions = NO

Do yourself a favour and shell out for some proper hosting, design some proper systems and pay out for a full e-commerce front and back-end... WorldPay for example. Then you can call yourself a business and maybe get me to like it

I can garuntee you won't get a single sale from that site...

Also, wth is up with that donate button, c'mon, name me another single PC builder site that puts a donate button on the front page, what kind of image does that give off... "Hey everyone buy this PC cos i cant actually afford to host my own site or buy my own server"... GAH!!

Sorry if that sounded a bit harsh, but well...
You have a every nice site, but a agree with Dragon on this one hosting really isnt that exspencive.

Last edited:

Calibretto

VIP Member
I agree with dragon. But I don't see a problem with paypal if you have premiere account.

but there isn't much demand in building custom computer s now a days. It's all about repairing and servicing. Plus the major manufacturers like Dell and HP do all the computer selling.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I agree with dragon. But I don't see a problem with paypal if you have premiere account.

but there isn't much demand in building custom computer s now a days. It's all about repairing and servicing. Plus the major manufacturers like Dell and HP do all the computer selling.

Yeah don't get me started on warranty reimbursements, I make my company lots of money every day. Some months I pay my own salary.

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
I don't see a problem with paypal if you have premiere account.
For a start it would need a Business Account to properly handle ALL types of payment, secondly, its called "PROFESSIONALISM" Would you really buy from Dell or GoDaddy if they suddenly came u and said, actually we're not quite good enough to have our own basket system... i know, we can use theis openly available free altternative at no cost to ourselves whilst still taking your money...

No you wouldn't, im not trying to shatter the guys morale or anything, he's more than welcome to do what he wants on the internet, im jsut saying that if he is properly serious about getting large volumes of sales through the door, that site isnt gonna cut it...

dragon

The_Beast

With the custom PC parts, who is going to know what to order, "yeah I want the C2D E6600 with the socket AM2 mobo, 184 pin ram and a AGP FX5500"

sorry to say this but who is going to buy a computer from a 12 year old, I have said this before you are too young. plus how do they know your going to keep up the warranties you are giving out

tlarkin

VIP Member
I can tell you right now, if your support sucks or lacks no one will buy from you on the enterprise level. Dell can offer a ton of things you can't like a warranty, warranty replacement and facilitation, over night parts, an extensive support knowledge base and tech support.

Really, a lot of companies make revenue in support. For example to become a HP Partner you need to spend like 250k or more with HP. Then you can become a partner with them and get all kinds of cool stuff. Access to HP certs, direct parts ordering, warranty reimbursement (where HP pays you to fix the machines yourself on site), etc.

tlarkin

VIP Member
With the custom PC parts, who is going to know what to order, "yeah I want the C2D E6600 with the socket AM2 mobo, 184 pin ram and a AGP FX5500"

sorry to say this but who is going to buy a computer from a 12 year old, I have said this before you are too young. plus how do they know your going to keep up the warranties you are giving out

you don't get any warranty from a reseller at all. You may get like a 30 day return policy, but you don't get a warranty. After that return policy expires you are forced to deal with the manufacturer, they give the warranty.

There is no money in building custom systems at all. Trust me on this.

Laptop

Pretty nice site and i'm surprised you have a computer company at 12!

Yeah... Thats what I suprised too. One of my class mate is working for a software company. That is for her dad. Her dad is a software developer. Anway, congradulation brother. and nice site.

ceewi1

VIP Member
I've got to agree with Dragon on this one - you won't get anyone buying from a site like that.

1. If you're after free webhosting, www.50webs.com provides it without advertising.
  2. A domain name is only a few dollars. Register one if you want to have any chance at all.
  3. Get rid of the ads. All of them
  4. Get rid of the 'please donate to me' button. You're running a business, not a charity
  5. Your workstation page has absolutely no information about your workstations
  6. You mention your systems include AVG. Have you registered as an OEM partner? Because it's illegal to distribute the free version with OEM systems.
  7. I wouldn't be inclined to compare prices directly with Dell.
  8. I'd offer categories of systems - e.g. Gaming systems, which you really don't cater for.
  9. A [email protected] contact address is a really bad idea. Once you register a domain name, you should have access to an @nano-pc (or whatever you register) address. At the very least register a nano-pc address with your ISP to look a little more legitimate.
  10. You don't mention what areas you service. Or whether shipping costs are included in your prices
  11. A VGA port is certainly not round. If you're going to put setup tips, best to do it with the aid of a diagram.
  12. Your 'Buy the X1' link is broken.
  13. If you absolutely must use paypal to process orders, at least customize the page (yes, you can do that). As I mentioned before, ensure that it pays into a reputable email address, not your name @ yahoo.com
  14. Are your items in stock and ready to ship? If not, you should indicate some sort of timeframe.
I think it's great that you're trying to start a business at such a young age, but have you considered how you're going to promote your site? Getting up the lists in the major search engines isn't easy or cheap.

Last edited:

_simon_

Few points:

1. Domain name / Company name. - normally PC = Personal Computing, so you have actually called your company Nano Personal Computing Computers?

A business using free hosting? I would immedietly think it was a scam.

Non related adverts - I would immediately return to my google search.

2. Grammar. Need I say more?

3. Colours. White on black is not doing you any favours. To be frank it looks like a kid knocked it up in his spare time. That's not the impression you want to give, even if it is true.

4. Pictures. I assume it's a work in progress, although your first post doesn't say that. I want to SEE what I am buying. I want thumbnails and the ability to see an enlarged shot so that I can imagine it sat on my desk.

5. Payment. A non-ebay BUSINESS site wanting me to pay via paypal? Again, I would be thinking scam?

6. Your tips. Put yourself into the shoes of the person who has purchased their very first pc. Your tips would be so unhelpful. More description and pictures needed.

To be totally honest, that site looks cheap, tacky and like a scam.
You won't get a sale from that site unless it's one of your buddies.

I commend you for your ideas at the age of 12 but you either need the cash to pay someone to do it right for you, or you need the skills yourself.

Unfortunately, custom built computers is a very competitive marketplace and has been for many years. You have to have something that makes you really stand out from the crowd.

I assume you have checked into the legalities of running a business at your age?

Last edited:

ceewi1

VIP Member
Oh, and I take it you've registered your business name, and are prepared for your taxation obligations?

mrjack

VIP Member
And do you have a license for selling Windows Vista? Cause I think a license is pretty much required to sell any Windows operating system.

At least around here all the shops that sell Windows (2000, XP, Vista) are all certified and licensed sellers when it comes to Microsoft software.

Status
Not open for further replies.