My Pc Always Turns Itself Off When I Watch Videos - Why? Help? Graphics Card?

Pauly73Drifter

Hey everyone, I am Paul. I am only new to this site so this is my first thread and post. This is the problem. My pc likes to turn itself off (crash) whenever I view videos or music. Videos can be on my hard drive, dvd disc and even the net but it still crashes. It sometimes crashes when I play games or anything that uses alot of high resolution graphics etc. I turned off "automatically restart after system failure" in start up and recovery but that didn't work. I then asked for help and I was told to reboot my pc fully. So, I then deleted the whole partition using a windows disc, reinstalled a fresh copy but it still does the same thing. I went and purchased a 500w power supply because I thought it was that but it still happens. Re installed windows again and what do you know, it still happens. So, I am assuming it is 100% a hardware problem not programmes or windows as it should of been fixed after reboot. I am thinking of the graphics card maybe not sure.

Here is some details I know of my pc if it may help:
Purchased in Jan 2005
Pentium 4
200GB HD
512MB Ram
DVD Burner
Gigabyte GA-81PE1000 Pro 2 Motherboard
I think it has an ATI 9600 graphics card
500w PowerCase power supply

I don't know alot about hardware in computers, mainly just programmes and applications. So right now I don't know what to do. I went to a pc shop and they said give it to them and they will chuck it out for me. But I don't want to as I don't have money to buy a new one.

If this thread is in the wrong forum can someone let me know where to post it?

Cheers, kind regards Paul.

PLEASE SOMEONE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE!!!!!

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Hello, Paul, and welcome to CF!

What you're describing could be a few things, but I'd be willing to bet that either your CPU or GPU is overheating. Is this a pre-built or self-built system (I saw the Purchased in 2005, but do you mean the system or the parts to build the system)? You mentioned swapping out the PSU, but have you swapped out/play with any other parts inside the case? It's possible that a cooling fan or heatsink got nudged a bit and lost it's connection. Also, if a poor-quality thermal paste was used on the CPU/HSF, it may be at the end of it's life.

Pauly73Drifter

Hello, Paul, and welcome to CF!

What you're describing could be a few things, but I'd be willing to bet that either your CPU or GPU is overheating. Is this a pre-built or self-built system (I saw the Purchased in 2005, but do you mean the system or the parts to build the system)? You mentioned swapping out the PSU, but have you swapped out/play with any other parts inside the case? It's possible that a cooling fan or heatsink got nudged a bit and lost it's connection. Also, if a poor-quality thermal paste was used on the CPU/HSF, it may be at the end of it's life.

It is a custom built computer. I got it made for me by a shop. I chose the parts they put it together. Everything was purchased in 2005 besides the new power supply which was only a few weeks ago. I have never changed any other parts. I have heard about the thermal paste scenario but unsure on how to check it. All fans seem to be spiinning fine. Cheers, thanks for your help

StrangleHold

Staff member
Since you said 2005 how long has it been since you cleaned out the CPU fan and heatsink, plus alot of the 9600s had a fan too. I would check thoses for dust/dirt first.

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Well, as SH mentioned, check the GPU cards first to see if the fans are spinning, if they have them.

If they appear to be in working order, I'd have a look at the CPU area. Get a can of compressed air and blow out any dust that may have accumulated between the fins. Don't worry about getting the dust on the MoBo or other components becasue you can just blow it away. Removing the heatsink and CPU is fairly easy. Before you do so, though, make sure you have a tube of thermal paste so you can reapply.

The heatsink will be held in place by screws or clips. You might have to remove the MoBo...you might not. Once the heatsink is off, you can remove the CPU. Wipe away any residue from the old TP from both the CPU and HS (dry-wiping is OK in a pinch, but it helps to wipe the back of the CPU and the HS with rubbing alcohol and then make sure they're both dry). Re-seat the CPU and place a BB-sized dab of TP on it. Re-attach the HSF and lock it into place, making sure it's making complete contact and doesn't get caught up on a capacitor or anything.

Re-connect all wires and fire it up. Check your temps and see if any have improved - if it was old TP that was the issue, I'm certain they will.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Dust is your enemy:D

6065-500-666.jpg

Pauly73Drifter

Hey there, I opened the case and had a look. All fans working fine. However, I don't have a fan on the back of the case sucking out hot air, is this bad. Also, I went to the CMOS PC Health Status and put enable on all fan warnings. Restarted and saved settings and in about 5 minutes I got a warning and a strange buzzing noise. Turned it off, disabled that function and no warnings, no noise. So I think a fan might be out. Also I had a look at my temps of the CPU here as follows:
CPU Temps:
60oC When started
70oC 2 minutes later
75oC 3 minutes later
80oC 5 minutes later
85oC 8 minutes later
88oC 10 minutes later

CPU Fan Speed 3125 RPM - 3183 RPM

From what I think these temps are too high. If someone can let me know if they should be less I will take your guys advice and clean out all dust in fans, and put new TP on all heatsinks on graphics card.

Cheers

Pauly73Drifter

Also, should fans be cleaned on a regular basis. I have never cleaned them out in the time I have had the computer. They are fairly dusty. But I don't see it will affect them as there is no dust stopping the fan from spinning. Cheers

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Yes! You always need to clean them! Compressed air is the best way.

60C is high. 88C? Insane (literally). I suggest that:

1) Get new or clean the case fans
2) Clean the CPU fan
3) Get Arctic Silver 5

lovely?

he will not know how to apply the thermal paste so it is best not to suggest things that might irreparably kill his computer.

best bet? buy a five dollar fan from newegg.com to stick into the back of your computer to suck out air, and get every bit of dirt out of that fan on your motherboard.

the thing is, when the dust builds up the air cannot contact the metal heatsink to whisk the heat away from your cpu, which causes intense overheating and can kill your computer fast quick and in a hurry

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
he will not know how to apply the thermal paste so it is best not to suggest things that might irreparably kill his computer.

And you know this how? Have some faith.