my semi finalized list for my new comp

Leenis24

Tell me what you think, anything im missing or need?

COOLER MASTER Elite RC-310-BWN1-GP Black Computer Case With Side Panel Window

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 100283L Video Card

ASUS P6T SE ATX Intel Motherboard

ASUS VH202T-P Glossy Black 20" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor Built-in Speakers

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Full

hec X-Power Pro 650 650W Continuous @ 40°C Power Supply

Intel Core i7-920 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor

CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

Western Digital Caviar SE16 320GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive -Retail

TWO (APEVIA CF12SL-UBL Blue LED Case Fan)s

SAMSUNG Black Blu-ray Combo Drive - Bulk SATA Model SH-B083L/BSBP LightScribe Support

SUPER TALENT INTAIN1MCR All-in-one Card Reader

I think this is a good mid level gaming PC
I already have the keyboard/mouse, sony dvd/cd writer w/ lightscribe, logitec 5.1 speakers, a 160 GB internal Harddrive and an 80GB external. All from my current computer now, just gunna use this stuff for the new comp.

Leenis24

for the PSU i just wanted a cheap with leds. any other suggestions? do i need the 650w or will something like 550-600w work.

Those cooler master fans are cool, i'll probly get those instead now thanks.

Rogue01

Cheap down on the CPU, and get a better GPU.Otherwise your CPU will get bottlenecked by the weak Video card in all probability.GTX 275, I'd say, or GTX 260 core 216, bit cheaper.

Leenis24

i thought the HD 5770 1 gb was an excellent card. The gtx,s tend to use more juice and get hot quicker. I would get a 260 but i want a cooler and more power efficient GPU. Picking the right one seems to be a pain in the arse and i find myself doing a ton of research to pick one im totally satisfied with. Plus i really like the DX11.

Last edited:

Rogue01

i thought the HD 5770 1 gb was an excellent card. The gtx,s tend to use more juice and get hot quicker. I would get a 260 but i want a cooler and more power efficient GPU. Picking the right one seems to be a pain in the arse and i find myself doing a ton of research to pick one im totally satisfied with. Plus i really like the DX11.

I own two of the cards you specified, and yes, it's excellent, but frankly, the reason I recommend the GTX is that a lot more games will usually run better on NVIDIA hardware than games running better on ATI hardware.Off the top of my head, Fallout 3 and Starcraft 2 beta run much better on NVIDIA hardware.Now I don't know about you, but that's a good thumbs up for the GTX right there.Personally I don't care as two 5770's are enough power for anything I play, but you might.

Come to think about it, your monitor probably might not need more juice than what a 5770 gives, anyway.Forget the GTX 275...too costly.So basically you're looking at a core 216 vs a 5770.In which case , allow me to lay the points before you:-

HD 5770:-

1) Better price
2) DX 11
3) Uses 29/43 watts less ( Idle/load)
4) ~2 dB quieter and about the same temps as a 260, this is negligible

GTX 260 core 216:-

1) Better performance than the 5770
2) PhysX
3) Support for games as I illustrated

I'd go for 260, but that's just my preference.

If you want to go for some old hardware with great power, there's a 4850X2 in your price range that's going to beat the 5770, and then some.You do lose DX11 though.

craneop1985

Why do you want win 7 Ultimate---won't home premium or pro do what you need---but what ever you get make sure it's 64 bit version.and an OEM version will be a lot cheaper than retail w/lower price.

Gabe63

If you are going to spend that much money buy a 5850, $100 more and will blow away both of those cards.