Need a laptop for business school!

Dewdrop

Hello all,

I am going to college next year, and I need a laptop for business school. I am thinking a PC (so as to be compatible with more of the programs I will be using in school), but battery life, durability, size, and reliability are also important to me. Specific computers, brands, or just general advice, any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
-Jamie

DMGrier

VIP Member
I recommend this laptop, It has some pretty good performance parts for the multi tasking you will need (not good for gaming). Plus you asked for durable, I can guarantee this laptop is pretty tuff cause it is the same one I have, expect the one I am showing you runs windows 7. But I am in the Navy and man this laptop has been on the go like crazy never a single problem. Finally you asked for battery life, This laptop has amazing battery time for a PC. It gets pretty close to 6 hours, If I have the MS word open, wifi off and on power saver I got 6 1/2 hours on a single charge. With wifi on about 5 1/2 hours. But even in power save mode this think opens programs in a flash and still can multi task.

What also may help is your budget for a computer.

JTM

Hello all,

I am going to college next year, and I need a laptop for business school. I am thinking a PC (so as to be compatible with more of the programs I will be using in school), but battery life, durability, size, and reliability are also important to me. Specific computers, brands, or just general advice, any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
-Jamie

If you're looking for a true business class computer I'd go with IBM/Lenovo. You're gonna get a nice looking laptop that is powerful, durable, and all around perfect for most applications for a business student.

DMGrier

VIP Member
Yeah but he needs battery life and the Lenovo/IBM computers have horrible battery life, especially if you get anything under $900. Most of there thinkpad's under $900 comes with a 4-cell battery! I didn't even know they still made those.

I find this funny cause you figure a business man is very mobile so you would figure Lenovo to have amazing batteries, but they don't.

Last edited:
i reccomend a Dell XPS. These things are the hybrids of what Dell has to offer. I highly reccomend it just for the simple fact that its well, quality! Alienware and all these others are a little overpriced, not saying that Dell doesnt have a little bit of a price tag on it but as the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

FuryRosewood

find something with a intel GMA HD or otherwise, nice large battery, and you should be fine, avoid gateway, id recommend a toshiba or a dell, just avoid 'gaming' graphics cards, you will just end up killing your battery. my panasonic toughbook has a gma 845 and it gets about 7 hours battery life average

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834114938 something along these lines would do nicely i think

Last edited:

Fatback

VIP Member
I would go with a MacBook and install windows on it as well. That way you have the best of both worlds. Your get the battery life, durability, size, and reliability that you want, but still have the compatibility if you need it.

JTM

Yeah but he needs battery life and the Lenovo/IBM computers have horrible battery life, especially if you get anything under $900. Most of there thinkpad's under $900 comes with a 4-cell battery! I didn't even know they still made those.

I find this funny cause you figure a business man is very mobile so you would figure Lenovo to have amazing batteries, but they don't.

That's why you buy the 6-cell. I have never had any issues with an IBM, nor do I know anyone who has.

Dewdrop

My price range is pretty flexible, up to $1000. But thanks so much for all the help, I really appreciate it!

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I recommend a Dell Latitude. You can get some nice specs for a good price. I have an E6500 myself with a 9-cell battery and it can last up to 5 hours. Also got a 2.4 C2D, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD, 15.6" LCD, and an nVidia Quatro 160 video card. I love it also because the case is very durable. My friend has the same machine and it has taken some very nasty drops before, but it still works perfectly!

DMGrier

VIP Member
That's why you buy the 6-cell. I have never had any issues with an IBM, nor do I know anyone who has.

Man even a 6-cell is garbage by today standards. I also don't know anybody who has owned a IBM computer in the last 5 years. For some reason the link doesn't work but it is still up in there site. If you want to look at it go to bestbuy and look at the Dell studio 15 with the i5 for $939.99. Sorry you have to look it up but I highly recommend this cause it hits all your needs and I own one and absolute love it, the quality is just amazing, performance is great and battery life is above most.

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Man even a 6-cell is garbage by today standards. I also don't know anybody who has owned a IBM computer in the last 5 years. For some reason the link doesn't work but it is still up in there site. If you want to look at it go to bestbuy and look at the Dell studio 15 with the i5 for $939.99. Sorry you have to look it up but I highly recommend this cause it hits all your needs and I own one and absolute love it, the quality is just amazing, performance is great and battery life is above most.

If you go consumer brand, like the Ideapad, they're total garbage. But if you go with the Thinkpad line, they're really nice. The T60 and T70 series are really quite nice.

JTM

There is a big difference in quality going from a Dell to a IBM. The build quality is far superior on the IBM.

lucasbytegenius

I would definitely go with a MacBook, hands down. If you need to run Windows programs, you can run them in the Mac OS using VMWare Fusion. If you don't like the Mac OS, you can also install Windows on it. If I was after a netbook, the MacBook Air isn't so great to me, so I would go with Asus.