Need a new router

anil099

I have my desktop computer set up in my living room....and my tv is maybe 10 ft away with my ps3...no walls in between...I need a wireless router so I can play online with my ps3...last routher I bought was a lynksys 54 mbps purple and black color one lol

IT was alright and I could play online fine even though the router was upstairs and ps3 downstairs....but are there significantly better routers out now

I see some with 150 mbps and 300 mbps....are those worth it and make my ps3 play online better and faster than the 54 mbps

or should I just save money and get a 54 mbps

What other things should I look for...abgn all that stuff i dont get lol

I have a laptop but I keep it at work 99% of the time so this would be strictly for ps3

memory

Personally I would stick with the Linksys. Been using them for years now with no trouble.

Are the N routers finalized or are they still in draft version?

Bacon

Depends on how fast your ISP is.

Try this out and let us know your results. http://www.speedtest.net/

Based on that we can determine what router would be suitable. No point in buying a 300mbps router if your cap is at 100.

Also, you say there are no walls in between, why not just do a physical hook up instead of wireless?

linkin

VIP Member
according to speetest your connection is 108.64 megabits/second

Note, 8 bits = 1 byte so 13.58 * 8 = 108.64

Bacon

From what I've read, PS3s aren't N compatible unless you set up a bridge and blah blah, you'd have to look it up.

Based on that, get a Linksys 54mbps router unless you feel confident in setting up your PS3 for wireless N compatibility and spending the extra cash.

This is the router I use: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124190

Works flawlessly, never drops connection and I never have to restart it.

HazzaHnoob

Why not just get a nice long Ethernet cable and run it from your router to your PS3, that way you'll get the top speed your connection can give on the router you already have, much cheaper... and they're quite easy to hide to...

BillOhio

Walmart stores actually quit carrying them a while back, you would still have to order it and have it shipped to your local walmart store.

Good to know. I wondered if that might be the case but for basically the same price, and as my Walmart is down the street, I think for myself I might still like that better than going via UPS. Right now I'm hesitating to leave the house as I wait for a PSU and Heatsink to show up via UPS.

I'm probably going to get one of these next week. Thank You for letting me know what to expect.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Are you sure its coming today as its saturday and they usually don't have saturday delivery?

BillOhio

Are you sure its coming today as its saturday and they usually don't have saturday delivery?

The amount of knowledge around here is scary, in a good way :) .

I could have been more specific/accurate in my comment. No, I don't expect that the parts will be in today, I've been following the tracking, they are in Ohio from Cali and I'd expect them to be here Monday. Thursday I sat at the house from 9 'till 3:30 waiting on my Case, HDD, and DVD Drive. I'll probably do it again on Monday as I just don't want to miss the delivery. I think I'd prefer to have something sent to Walmart and just pick it up at my leisure.

Again, Thank You for lending the perspective as I go through the process of getting myself situated on the computer front.

Last edited: