need a program that wipes all data

Archangel

VIP Member
whats the brand of the hdd?

edit: because i know WD has a program that writes a logical '1' on each space of the HDD to test it,.. frankly, you loose all data with that.

Archangel

VIP Member
well... you could just put a windows cd in it, and run the setup, and just delete the partitions with it. thats enough for most people.

tlarkin

VIP Member
no matter how many times you formate or kill partitions the data is still there until it is completely over written, and even when it is overwritten there are ways to retreive it. If you just want the data gone, just destroy the HD, if you still want to use it, get a utility that will write 0s or 1s to the whole drive (kind of like what archangel mentioned) and completely over write the data. It takes F-O-R-E-V-E-R.

http://www.killdisk.com/

Saurian

The Dept of Justice states has a protocol stating that 7 times rewritten is generally effective enough to eliminate the data, except for the most extreme data recovery techniques. And, unless you have nuclear trade secrets or Iranian attack info on your computer - trust me, you need not worry about THOSE retrievals. :)

I have done 3 rewrites on a disk and a software based program was able to pick up a few corrupted mp3 files still, just freeware retrieval. If that gives you any idea.

Rambo

Why don't you use a Live CD OS? Like Ubuntu or something? Format them through the command or something. If you don't want to do that, use the Ultimate Boot CD. There's gotta be a utility on that which can do it...

:)

tlarkin

VIP Member
The Dept of Justice states has a protocol stating that 7 times rewritten is generally effective enough to eliminate the data, except for the most extreme data recovery techniques. And, unless you have nuclear trade secrets or Iranian attack info on your computer - trust me, you need not worry about THOSE retrievals. :)

I have done 3 rewrites on a disk and a software based program was able to pick up a few corrupted mp3 files still, just freeware retrieval. If that gives you any idea.

I was being extreme, but with things like HIPPA, I destroy HDs for clients (physically) with a power drill and then toss them away.