Need An External HDD

anil099

I've gotta desktop in my sig with a 200 gb and an 80 gb but theyve filled up

I saw some western digital in wal mart 1tb for $99 and 2 tb for $159 or so...seems like good prices but when I read reviews online it said they have some auto back up software which is a real pain in the ass...

anyone reccommend good external hdd around 1tb at least...around $100 price range...i just need it to save my music, videos, tv shows etc...no programs or anything to run off of it just play some media and maybe stream it to ps3 ...

Cameldude

Well the western digital ones which come with software , most likely it will come with a virtual disk which you coul either turn on or off, if not it will come with some files on the actual drive, which will be up to you to decide whether to intall or not, i personally deleted them so, but you could if you want later redownload them from the WD website. The speed from them is not probably very fast, or at least it is as good as USB2.0 i.e. fastest you would get it would be around 20-25 MB/s, i could recommend Samsung Story Station, which is also a good one, and prety cheap.

I mean i do not know where you are but if in US, this could be good, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=Samsung_Story_Station-_-22-152-231-_-Product

or what ever you want, size wise. I think any WD, or Samsung ones would be prety good. Just make sure that you read reviews from the website you buy from, or if in shop ask if anyone has come back and returned it, since they come in a batch and if one in a batch breaks it is not too far to assume that others could break.
i have 4 WD drives and 1 Samsung. all work fine for now,

If you want fast ones, and you have a desktoop, get an internal hard drive, if not, get the one with e-sata on it. that would be a bit faster than USB2. but since you are using it just fro storage i think USB2 would be enough.
(Internal still much faster thought)

hope this helps a bit.

Cameldude

I suppose if you are looking for a portable one, go for the WD passport 1TB, very small, and prety good ( one draw back, it has a virtual drive), otherwise i would second analizer.