Need boot cd for xp home

irishluck

So im trying to reinstall my windows xp home on my new computer. I have the product code but i dont have a boot cd to reinstall this

does anyone have a boot cd for this or know where i can get one?

Thanks

User0one

A friend or a online auction site. You need a CD the same type, Home, or Pro, different example of types are OEM, Retail, Upgrade.

irishluck

well heres my dilima.

I bought new computer cause old computer motherboard fried, but HD still good

I put old HD in new computer and then it wont boot up, so what im doing is just putting the OS on the new HD that came with the computer. There nothing on new HD. So im trying to get a boot cd for windows xp home to load it on, i have a product code just no cd

So to anwser your question, no i dont have a hidden recovery partition cause i dont need one, im trying to upload OS on NEW HD

andy faith

the best solution is to borrow one off a friend, even a dell disk or other manufacturer, as long as it installs then you can change your product key afterwards before you activate, though it may come with added extras (like dell diagnostics), though it's not the end of the world...

wolfeking

banned
Around before recovery partitions were popular, some companies (especially HP) would ship the computer with no disk at all. It was up to the end user to call them up and pay the $20 or so to get a new one. Currently HP still doesnt have a way (at least on the G61) to burn recovery disk. Its all up to the end user to maintain the recovery partition.

irishluck

ok let me explain further.

I got hired onto a company ok. My work company crapped out. Its like a 2 year old computer. We bought a new one, yes i got the product key off the case. but we dont know where the cd is, so i basically need a way to get a cd somehow.

I do have cd's for professional but i need cd for xp home.

and also i dont have any friends who use xp.

irishluck

is there a way to get a boot cd off the old HD from the old computer? Cause that HD is still good, i just cant boot up from that HD for some reason

irishluck

is there anyway to get a boot cd off the old HD? i mean its still good, just the new computer will not boot up fromit and i dont really know why so im reloading xp on the new HD. But can i get the boot cd off that old HD?

User0one

There is no such thing as a boot cd on a hard drive.

XP activation is tied to Hardware. That is why the old the old hard drive won't work on the new PC.

Go to ebay, Good luck

irishluck

well i was googleing this and i found some people talking about an I386 directory? how you can make a boot throught that? whats that exactly?

irishluck

well damn...... so does anyone on here have a copy i can buy from them lol or they could possible email a copy=D

User0one

The problem is that your product key might not work with someone else's CD. Like I said earlier the product key is tied to the Flavor of the CD. So you need to figure that out.

OEM product Keys only work with OEM Disks
Upgrade Keys only work with Upgrade Disks
etc.

I can find New XP Home CD's with product keys for 50 bucks at online retailers, that is the easiest solution .

irishluck

well I've never had problems using a different boot cd for a different key. I have a xp professional boot cd i use for multiple systems to download.

But if i do member correctly, xp home and xp home upgrade is different correct?