Need HELP! 7900GS OC problems (BSOD)

Jeff C.

Ok, I installed a new BFG 7900GS OC in my XPS 400 (Pentium D 930 3.0), 2G RAM, XP sp2, Dell 20" widescreen monitor). Installed new drivers off the CD that came with the card (91.47) and I get this at startup:

121393743-M.jpg

Sooo, not knowing what causes this error, I press the power button to restart again and get this screen:

121393733-M.jpg

Sooo, not having any idea what the friggin' problem is, I choose the "restart Windows Normally" option and then my system reboots and all is well. Until . . . . . . . I use Standby or Hibernate, the computer refuses to wake up from either. More precisely, the monitor no longer responds. I can hear the drive spin up, fans run, and I can even access the CD drive tray. But no monitor, and so I must do a hard reboot and start all over again.

Verrrry frustrating. BFG tech support is no help---they "doubted" it had anything to do with the card. I disagree. I am really at the end of my rope and don't know where to begin.

Anyone have any ideas? All games play well and the card seems to work OK after I get by these issues, but I don't want to have to do this every day.

Thanks,
Jeff

Alphatronix

I had somthing similiar to this issue years ago and it was the gfx card. I can almost promise you that its your gfx card.

Unless your reinstall windows or try using antoher 79gs or any other card, you wont know for sure if its windows buggin out or the card.

Try reinstalling the drivers for starters.

Jeff C.

I had somthing similiar to this issue years ago and it was the gfx card. I can almost promise you that its your gfx card.

Unless your reinstall windows or try using antoher 79gs or any other card, you wont know for sure if its windows buggin out or the card.

Try reinstalling the drivers for starters.

Thanks for your help!

Yeah, my gut tells me that it's the card too. I tried another driver version . . . (91.37) but I still have the same issue with hibernate and standby. Interestingly enough, "Quick Resume" seems to work fine.

Any thoughts on whether or not the PS might be an issue? The card calls for 350w and mine is 375w. I'm wondering if the card draws so much power on startups that it (and the other devices that start up) is overwhelming the PS and failing to run the monitor? This card did come oc'd compared to the stock 7900 GS . . . and I had no such issues with Dell's nVidia OEM 6800 that this card replaced.

Thanks again for your advice.

Jeff

Jeff C.

BFG Tech Support is utterly worthless.

A brief summary of the 2nd call to BFG:

1. Me on hold for thirty minutes. Very unpleasant hold music.
2. Me explaining (again) what the issue is.
3. BFG guy spending five minutes online looking for an answer---me on hold.
4. BFG guy telling me he has no idea what the problem is. "Call Microsoft," he
says.
5. Me counting to ten.
6. Me explaining, again, that these problems only began to occur after the
new card was installed, and that my PC works fine with my old card, again.
7. "Call Dell," he suggested.
8. Me counting to ten, again.
9. Me explaining that it's not Dell's card (or MS's for that matter).
10. BFG guy saying he's very sorry he can't help.
11. Me asking for an RMA.
12. BFG guy saying "No, it's not the card."
13. Me saying "I would like a supervisor. Please."
14. BFG guy saying, "Sorry, none available. try again another time."
15. Me counting to ten.
16. Me, not making it to two.

And I snapped, a little bit. The guy was an idiot and refused to stray from his cue card, refused to see reason and blathered on about "Ockham's Razor" and how the "simplest explanation is that it's a problem with your PC, sir." If I could have reached through the phone and strangled him I still wouldn't have been sated.

Sigh. Now I'm SOL, unless I can figure this out. I'm desperate for some advice and will try to research this some more but if anyone can shed some new light on this for me, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,
Jeff