Need help buying a performance laptop [~$1.2K]

ShauryaVerma

Hi,
I'm looking for a decent laptop for around $1.2-1.3K with the accent being on cpu performance. Here are my reqmts.

Budget: 1.2-1.4K (wouldn't mind spending less)
Screen: 15-16 (most pbbly not 17, definitely not <15)
Brands: No particular preference, need a cheap and durable one. I presently have a Dell which used to be pretty fast.
Mobility: would prefer a 9 cell battery.
Durability: semi-durable (I don't abuse it, but it often accompanies me wherever I go)
Multitasking: all the time
Gaming: Almost never. (almost)
Calculations: Tonnes, simulations+video editing
Storage: atleast 500GB
Optical Media: dvd+cd writer
Operating System: most pbbly end up using 7, but I'd certainly try to get a Linux box if it were cheaper.

Now, I looked around a little bit, and I found a Dell XPS15 to be pretty decent.
Using the specs:
CPU: i7-2720QM This appears to hit the sweet spot. (or do you think it's not a reasonable jump over the i7-2630QM to justify the extra cash, say $125)

GPU: Nvidia GT 540M. Don't need a very powerful one right now.. just buying one for the future.

RAM: Q. : do we really need any more than 4-6GB. My old laptop has 4 GB, and I don't feel the need for more. However, how much difference does a faster RAM offer (1600 vs 1333).
Dell charges $120 to upgrade from 4GB 1333 to 8GB 1333. While I can just add a 4gig @1333Mhz for $33, or replace it with a 4Gb 1600MHz for $60.

HDD: SSDs appear to be out of my budget. I'm thinking a 750Gig 7.2K or a 500x2 7.2K (that's what Dell offers)
Do you think for the reasons mentioned above this might end up being a bottleneck? Perhaps I could upgrade to an SSD in like 2 years when they're cheaper (hopefully).

Monitor: Assuming that I settle for a 15 incher... Do I need 1920x1080? ## What about a 17"one?
I mean.. I'd like to have as much clarity as possible.. but will this actually end up helping... cos for the laptop I saw.. it costs an additional $150.

##One more thing... do you think I should wait for Ivy Bridge 22nm cpus? I heard they're rumoured to be here by April '12. It'd suck if I waited and they turned out to be only marginally better.. or annoyingly expensive.

And, since I'm either buying in August or April, to get cheap deals... I have to make my decision in 1-2 weeks.
I mean it'd be silly to mistime a laptop purchase.

##I'm not very brand particular.. Dell looks cooler than CyberPower.. and ends up being just marginally expensive. I saw a good deal for an HP laptop also.. any recommendations here?

Is there anything else that I should keep in mind... cos I plan to keep the laptop for atleast 3 years after buying.

Thanks for reading..

ShauryaVerma

@jonnyp11: Both the laptops sound great (powerful, look pretty). They're also pretty light. Do you know any place we can custom mod these laptops.. (5.4k hdd).. Never thought of checking any site other than dell.com for a laptop purchase (lame as it sounds right now). Thanks very much. :)

@Troncoso: Wow.. that Asus monster really is awesome. It's just that I'll be carrying the laptop in my backpack everyday and, as Billabong27 pointed out, it's 9.4lb weight, (in conjunction with my annoyingly weak shoulders) makes it a little hard to manage. But I guess I'm looking up more Asus stuff now.

daisymtc

ASUS G53SW-XN1 (GTX 460m > GT540m)
Intel Core i7 2630QM(2.00GHz) 15.6" 6GB Memory 500GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230027

Sager NP8150/ Clevo P150HM would be another one to consider
http://www.malibal.com/boutique/pc/configurePrd.asp?idProduct=279
http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8150...ing-sager-notebook-p-2972.html?wconfigure=yes

Brand wise, Sager/ Clevo and Asus are better than Dell

Or if you want SSD, you may want to consider MSI. But it will be $1.5k
http://www.rkcomputer.net/rkcnotebooks/index.php?l=product_detail&p=346