Need Help DV6910us

DiPingu

Hello everyone,

I need some serious help in determining if my little project is going to work.
I decided to upgrade my computer and get more ram and an ssd. but now my new ram crashes all my programs

I have an hp pavilion DV6910us with 32bit Vista
it has an AMD Turion TL-60
and it has 3gb 667 ram (1 x 1gb and 1x 2gb)

I just bought 4gb 800mhz ram OCZ2M8004gk.

I know i need a 64 bit OS before i can obtain full the benefits, but before i pay for a new OS i want to make sure it'll work fine.

Any tips or suggestions ?
Thanks

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Test your RAM. Have you been getting blue screens? I have the feeling it might be defective.

DiPingu

Nope, no blue screens. I did the bios test on the ram and it passed. Everything turns on okay. but when i run programs they crash.. constantly. I put back the original ram and it works fine again.

wolfeking

banned
It could be a chipset limitation. Try just one of the 2GB ram dimms that you bough together with the 2GB 667 that you have. This will cause a downclock from 800 to 667. Just make sure that the 667 card is in DIMM 1 and 800 in DIMM 2. If it works, your golden.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Nope, no blue screens. I did the bios test on the ram and it passed. Everything turns on okay. but when i run programs they crash.. constantly. I put back the original ram and it works fine again.

I personally don't trust onboard diags. Download memtest and see what that says.

okapixel

yup memtest your ram, what ever it is, its obviously ram related, your mobo is not liking the new memory stick