Need help installing Portal 2

The Chad

I went out and bought Portal 2 today (bought the physical CD), I inserted it into the computer and to my greatest disappointed, it has to be run through Steam.

So I had to install Steam. Portal 2 shows up on my games list, but its trying to download it.

How can I either not play it with Steam, or show Steam that all the game files are on the disk and dont need to be downloaded? I cant download it, at 34kbs, it'll take days.

try installing direct from cd (by going to my computer, right clicking on the portal 2 disc drive and hitting open if u dont know but im sure you do ;)) to the steam/steamapps/yoursteamname/ folder.

if that doesn't work, you're screwed :/. or u can uninstall steam, put in the disk, install it, then install steam

good luck mate :)

Last edited:

Aastii

VIP Member
Right click Portal 2 in your games list and click delete local content. It will stop the download up to now and it will delete all of what it has downloaded so far.

Then, close steam, but don't open it again. Put the CD in the drive and let it autoboot. It should find it is trying to install a Steam game and will open it for you and should begin the installation from the disc itself

Last edited: