Need Help Please... this is making me mad

baseball7

BEFORE YOU REPLY PLEASE GO TO THE 8TH POST AND READ THAT BECAUSE I HAVE A HORRIBLE NEW PROBLEM... :(

Alright, well im TRYING to upgrade from Windows 7 32bit to 64bit.

1) Ive put the disc in while i was logged in to the computer and it said it wasn't compatible (duh)
2) ive booted from the cd-rom, and it took my to the install screen, but said i already had a version of windows 7 running, and it told me to log onto my computer and install while logged on (same thing happened as 1 ^^^)

My thinking right now is to install Vista (since i have an extra copy of it) and then just reinstall Windows 7 64bit.

Questions...
1) If i do reinstall vista... will there be too much "wear and tear" on my hdd, giving it less life?
2) Since my Vista disc is 32bit and i want to install win 7 64bit, will it say that the disc is not compatible again?

Thanks for reading and hopefully someone can help cause im getting pissed..

Thank You

Last edited:

baseball7

i guess thats common sense... but everyone that ive talked to and asked questions about it never said anything about that...
EDIT: so i just need to buy a new install disc?

Last edited:

powerpack

banned
You need to buy a full install copy either retail or OEM.

Edit: Method I think you are missing the issue?

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
Is this a upgrade 7 DVD? If so boot to the 7 DVD. Delete the partition. Let if format and start the install. When it get to where you put a pin number in, (dont). It will install a trial version. After the install boot to the 7 DVD again. This time pick upgrade and use the pin number this time. After that just delete the (windows old) folder.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Make a fresh Windows 7 64-bit install from the DVD disk.When I say fresh install,I mean to delete ALL partitions and create the new one on which you are going to install it.

NOTE 1: As "powerpack" already said.You CANNOT 'upgrade' 32-bit OS to the 64-bit.You can upgrade let's say XP 32-bit to Vista 32-bit or XP 64-bit to the Vista 64-bit,but you CANNOT upgrade from 32-bit to the 64-bit neither you can downgrade 64-bit to the 32-bit lol.

NOTE 2: Be sure that your processor supports 64-bit operating systems,otherwise you CANNOT install ANY type of the 64-bit operating system at all!!!

Cheers chocolate milk drinkers and to you "princess" ^^!

baseball7

Is this a upgrade 7 DVD? If so boot to the 7 DVD. Delete the partition. Let if format and start the install. When it get to where you put a pin number in, (dont). It will install a trial version. After the install boot to the 7 DVD again. This time pick upgrade and use the pin number this time. After that just delete the (windows old) folder.

Stranglehold..... ur a genius... i have 64 bit running on my computer right now... but this is what happened..
i had computer up and running. going to install a few things but i needed internet connection. so i inserted my drivers disk, then ran into my bedroom and got my graphics card disc. when i came back, the computer had restarted and booted to the menu where it says "there has been a problem blah...." And i chose to rune repairs instead of start windows normally, currently still running repairs and just waiting hoping that its ganna come through....
while i was typing this... it said that this problem could not be resolved and yea... so then it went to startup windows and it was goin fine then i got a blue screen with "dumping all physical memory"...? --- never gotten that before...

i honestly don't know what the heck to do... im only in highschool... and still learnin about computers...

anything posted after this will be taken into great consideration and will probably be put to use.. im also going to ask my computer class teacher at school and some of my dads buddies that are good with computers...

Thanks Guys

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
It is possible to solve this problem,but it is a LOT easier and faster to simply make the fresh Windows 7 64-bit install.Why don't you do that???

Just make the fresh install and then upgrade the freshly installed Windows 7.Even thought my advice is to rather install the Windows 7 64-bit from the DVD disk directly without any upgrades...

baseball7

the only thing is.... my dads already dumped a lot of money out in the past couple months, and will be dumping a lot more out in the next few months, and since im 15 and cant get a job yet i really don't have any money, and he wont really let me use any in the bank for computers equipment, he said that moneys for a car...
If i am able to get this new install, then should i just get the OEM disc?

And wtf does OEM stand for and whats the difference between it and the other disc... cause the OEM is $100 and the regular install is $180... i read about it and didnt understand, it just looked the same to me...

Also one last question...
on my HDD i only have like 50% room left, im not sure how i filled up 350gigs... i barely download anything or install any big programs... how do i free up some space there... cause my backup hdd is only 250gigs and its just backing anything up anymore....
Thanks

baseball7

EFF I JUST WAS READING BACK THROUGH ALL THESE COMMENTS....( thanks for the help to all).. and I FORGOT TO DELETE THE EFFIN PARTITION... HOPEFULLY SAVE ME SOME MONEY THIS TIME :)

chamgamer

Questions...
1) If i do reinstall vista... will there be too much "wear and tear" on my hdd, giving it less life?
2) Since my Vista disc is 32bit and i want to install win 7 64bit, will it say that the disc is not compatible again?

Thanks for reading and hopefully someone can help cause im getting pissed..

Thank You

ANSWERS:

1. Absolutely NO the only way HDD will have a less life if you don't shutdown properly the computer.

2. You nedd a fresh installation because the bit edition of 32 and 64 are impossible to combine just like the concept of oil and water it's impossible to mixed them.

baseball7

im sorry to inform everyone about this.... but i am currently running windows 64bit... thanks to Stranglehold.... THANKS FOR SOLVING MY PROBLEM..
never used a new install disc.. i only used an upgrade disc