Need help quick

Summerman

Im building my computer right now and my case only came with 3 risers...is this a mistake? most guides say i need about 6. can anyone help me?

Jamin43

banned
You should use as many as your Motherboard has holes for. Especially if you have an aftermarket heatsink on there.

My motherboard had 9 spacers and was screwed in at 9 points into the case for a standard ATX installation.

Drenlin

Yes it is

What case did you buy? Most good manufacturers will just send you the extra standoffs for free.

Summerman

do i need them though? like what will happen if i dont use these because my old computer didn't have them and its been running strong 5 years

Drenlin

Your old computer probably has them stamped into the case.

If you don't use them, then when you attach the motherboard, all of the solder points on the bottom touch the case. You'll short out your motherboard. So yes, you need those.

You can just run it without the case until you get standoffs.

Summerman

my computer case already has like little bumps up and with the risers it is now too high up for it to fit the O/I slot...

Summerman

I'm gonna guess i don't need them then because when i put it on these little bumps it doesn't touch the bottom.