need help rebuilding windows 95

alfonzo

Hi,

I have been trying to reinstall windows 95 onto a computer.

I have no boot disk, but I have the install disk.

I have tried downloading a boot disk from the internet, but it doesn't work.

After my comp tries to boot I get a screen saying "invalid system disk
replace the disk, and then press any key" it then goes on to try and log in with the network boot only to later try booting from a floppy again.

I need help getting a boot disk or even creating one from scratch, can I do this from the install CD?

What do I need to do?

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Try getting in BIOS and then set the boot device order - in your case, I'd recommend "Floppy"->"CD"->"HDD" - just make sure that the CD comes before the HDD.
The computer should tell you which button to press to get to BIOS when posting (usually it says "Press [key] to enter setup" or something like that), usually it's DEL, F1, F2, F10 or something along those lines. The option you're looking for is "Boot (device) order" or "Boot (device) priority" or something like that.

In case your BIOS doesn't support booting off CDs, you'll need to get a boot disk that's got CD-ROM drivers on it... just try the BIOS trick first.

alfonzo

I am work as an IT tech so I can manage this but thanks for the offer.
By the way the site looks nice, how do you get that image to scroll across the screen, is it a flash file or do you use Javascript or something else, I am trying to implement some things like that into a web site as well.

I have tried booting it from cd already, from floppy, and yes I have changed the BIOS to boot from floppy and CD so that isn't the problem.

I have an old boot floppy which no surprise doesn't work.

This is my old computer from when I was a kid and I believe the drives have been formated and I thought that if this was the case we would be booted into MS-DOS to ask for the command.

It used to be a 95 until it was upgraded to 98.

I just want the computer back, it would be a nice storage place.

alfonzo

Thanks for the help man, I had found that site earlier.

I feel stupid, my floppy drive wasn't plugged in.

jdbennet

yeah, very few windows CDs are directly bootable

Some copies of NT4 Workstaion and Windows 98 are, as are all copies of ME.

No retail copies of 95 are able to boot from the CD itself.

jdbennet

yeah i know, the trick is to use one of those DOS floppies with the (MSCDEX?) stuff on them. When it boots it says some crap aboout "oak technologies" or something, and for me it seems to be able to map 90% of the cd drives automatically

tip: xcopy everything from the win95 cd to like a d partitition or something anyway. win95 had a major bug where the cd drives wouldnt load again if it had to reboot partway through setup.

alfonzo

Ahh,

I don't think Ill need to worry about that.
I ran my win 98 update as soon as I got 95 installed.

P.S. What does OEM stand for?

OvenMaster

VIP Member
OEM=Original Equipment Manufacturer. In the case of a Windows OS disk, it means Windows support is provided by the computer maker that paid for the license, not Microsoft!

Jdbennet: I found out the hard way that a CD drive can't be read by Win95 in Safe Mode or in DOS, so the idea of putting the files from the OS disk onto another hard drive partition will only work if Win95 can boot and run properly.

jdbennet

yeah thats why on my win95 machines i booted off a DOS disk with the MSCDEX drivers, fdisked my disk into a C and D, then used XCOPY tto put everything from the cd onto D. I then ran setup from the D drive, instead of from the cd. Its much handier having the files on a partition.