Need help to setup up Remote Desktop Connection

ghost1412

I am on the process of set up my Remote Desktop Connection so I can access my home computer from anywhere

I do have a linksys Router at home and my wireless network at home is working perfect as well as I do use Zonealarm as firewall and I already configure it to allow remote desktop connection

Also I already configure my Win XP Pro SP2 to enable remote desktop

On the router configuration I already enable port 3389 under port range forward to the same IP of the router 192.168.1.1

When I am trying to connect to my IP I am getting this error that the client couldn't connect to the remote computer

Any idea what could be the problem ? any help would be aprechiated

Thank you

tlarkin

VIP Member
IP address 192.168.1.1 is the "gateway ip" in your router which acts as a gateway from your subnet to the internet.

You need to conenct to your WAN address, which is not going to be a 192.168.x.x address.

you can download applications to keep track of your IP for you and email you when it changes since most likely you have DHCP and not a static IP address.

create a free account here and download their app, it will keep track of your wan ip for you

http://www.dyndns.com/support/

This is what I use. Also, even though microsoft desktop is considered encrypted it is believe to not be as secure as an ssh tunnel. After you get it working you may want to enable ssh in your router and then download an app called putty and do remote desktop through an ssh tunnel.

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

tlarkin

VIP Member
try bumping it up one port to 3390

what happens? Like give it a range of 3389 3391 in the router to allow connections, sometimes if you have remote desktop installed on a remote machine it already assumes 3389, or at least that is what I gather.

Or create an ssh tunnel

Open up ssh on your router and use putty to make a ssh tunnel over port 443, then once connected launch your remote desktop and type in "localhost" with no quotes of course.

Trizoy

VIP Member
Logmein is SOOOO much easier, and free. i went through this all, and I don't use RDC anymore...

You also need to load IIS and some other things for it to be WEB RDC.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Logmein is SOOOO much easier, and free. i went through this all, and I don't use RDC anymore...

You also need to load IIS and some other things for it to be WEB RDC.

That I don't like the sound of. IIS can be a security issue unless you keep it configured and up to date constantly. Also, I am not sure if logmein uses any kind of encryption. When you configure the remote client for RDC, try bumping it up to port 3390 and see what happens.

Trizoy

VIP Member
Yes it does use encryption, and also a lot of other security stuff. You came in asking for help, and the fact is RDC is not worth the trouble it gives..

tlarkin

VIP Member
Yes it does use encryption, and also a lot of other security stuff. You came in asking for help, and the fact is RDC is not worth the trouble it gives..

Well, I have RDC running through an ssh tunnel into my router with a little app called putty.exe. took me about 10 minutes to set up, easy, secure, and encrypted with no third party software support, other than the free open source putty ssh client.

So, i don't have any troubles with my connection, and its fast, secure, reliable and it works with no third party app running in the background.

SubDude199

forget about remote desktop.. it sucks.. get your self Real VNC.. its free and its AWSOME, works every time unlinke Remote Desktop and does the same thing.. there is a non free version (easy to download) that has more security features and makes it so you can scale down the screen res otherwise in the free one it shows up in actual size and if you run the same or less res you will need to scroll to see the whole screen and it sucks. if u want you can check out one of my computers i have real vnc set up on.. I disables inputs from anyone who connects tho.. here is my info :will update in a few mins (you need the non free version to connect to me)

tlarkin

VIP Member
forget about remote desktop.. it sucks.. get your self Real VNC.. its free and its AWSOME, works every time unlinke Remote Desktop and does the same thing.. there is a non free version (easy to download) that has more security features and makes it so you can scale down the screen res otherwise in the free one it shows up in actual size and if you run the same or less res you will need to scroll to see the whole screen and it sucks. if u want you can check out one of my computers i have real vnc set up on.. I disables inputs from anyone who connects tho.. here is my info :will update in a few mins (you need the non free version to connect to me)

RealVNC is unencrypted, so its only secure through an ssh tunnel, but yes it is not bad.

SubDude199

the free version is unencrypted: you cant select it at, but the enterprise edition (found on mininova, cough cough) has the option for it:
untitled-8.jpg

tlarkin

VIP Member
Or, you can just download putty.exe and open up an ssh port in your router and use an ecnrypted ssh tunnel.