Need Help: Windows 7 Installation

I partitioned the Hard drive again and i got all the way to entering my product key but just before i hit next to go to the next step the blue screen opened for about 4 seconds and all i caught was something about Dumping physical memory and a number changing beside it. then it disappeared and the computer reset itself. I tried again just now and i got the blue screen much earlier. It seems to happen at random?

hey another thing i just noticed. When i first turn on the computer and it goes to the optical drive and it asks me to hit an key to boot from the CD or DVD. under that it now says BOOTMGR is missing.

how can i test the hard drive in the other computer when it cant do anything.. if i download that on the laptop im using how do i test the harddrive that is in the computer i built

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You download the ISO file and write the image file to a cd and then boot to the cd and run the extended test. This must be done from another machine.

well i downloaded the files and put them on a cd... and i put the cd in the computer and it it just keeps saying Reboot and Select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key

i failed lol so im back on the working computer.. and it tells me that the files are waiting to be burned to the disk.. how exactly do i make them burn on to it

sorry about my little knowledge about the stuff.. but i removed the hard drive and exchanged it at Fry's for another hard drive which is exactly the same. I came home and hooked it up in my pc but unfortunately the same problem occured. During some point of trying to install windows i get the blue screen of death. Whether it is right before i enter the product key or windows is expanding the files, it always appears and dumps any data and restarts the computer. Once i even got to the desktop but then the blue screen appeared again.

Since now i know it is the not the hard drive, what other component could it be? I mean the computer turns on and it beeps.. so i question that i did something wrong somewhere else along the way..

Any idea on what the problem could be?

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Make sure that your RAM chips are attached in their slots properly.
Remove them and then reinsert them again.

Also test your RAM chips as voyagerfan99 said.

Cheers!

Well i havent tested it yet but i have Patriot Viper Extreme 16GB ( 2 x 8GB ) and on the motherboard manual it says to put the RAM in two certain slots out of the four. However, they were already in the correct slots so the positioning is not the problem.

the Mhz it says on the case is 1866 and on the manual it has all these lists of the motherboard's "capability" and lists companies and for each frequency a whole bunch of combinations i guess. but the thing is.. not a single combination under 1866 Mhz or any of them for that matter lists 8GB sticks of RAM and none of them reach 16GB. does that mean the motherboard cant handle that much!?!?!?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
If the RAM wasn't compatible with your motherboard then it wouldn't even POST.

Test your RAM with Memtest.

..well just an update for you guys! i just took out the RAM and put them back in and it works now.. everything is fine and no more blue screen.. HOWEVER ANOTHER PROBLEM! i cant figure out how to download drivers! im trying to get my wifi-go wireless card drivers but i cant seem to figure it out. i went to the asus site > support > drivers > my motherboard type > wireless drivers > downloaded them > put them in a folder > put them on a thumbdrive > put the thumbdrive in the pc i build > and i opened the folders that should have drivers except there isnt any real download.. im not sure what i am doing wrong

..well just an update for you guys! i just took out the RAM and put them back in and it works now.. everything is fine and no more blue screen.. HOWEVER ANOTHER PROBLEM! i cant figure out how to download drivers! im trying to get my wifi-go wireless card drivers but i cant seem to figure it out. i went to the asus site > support > drivers > my motherboard type > wireless drivers > downloaded them > put them in a folder > put them on a thumbdrive > put the thumbdrive in the pc i build > and i opened the folders that should have drivers except there isnt any real download.. im not sure what i am doing wrong

are they back when you plug them in the original pc?