Need help with first boot

rahving

Ok, I finally "finished" building my computer and when I try to power it on for it's first boot, my cpu fan, psu fan, and back 120mm fan spin very briefly for about half a second, then stop. I immediately turned off power to the system...what do you the cause of this might be?

m0nk3ys1ms

To tell you the truth it could be anything. Try booting the system without any Hard Drives, CD/DVD Drives, or Floppy's plugged in.

rahving

Ok, I don't think the PSU fan has moved, I've tried it again and nothing. Does that necessarily mean the PSU is bad or no?

Basically it goes like this...I plug the power plug into my psu, then hit the power switch. Both the cpu and rear 120mm fan spin for a half second, as if all components connected to psu get the short burst of juice (I think some psu's do this, others don't.) I then hit the front power switch, and nothing happens. That's it.

Last edited:

m0nk3ys1ms

rahving said:
Ok, I don't think the PSU fan has moved, I've tried it again and nothing. Does that necessarily mean the PSU is bad or no?

Check all your connections. Unplug your PSU from the motherboard, and replug it.

rahving

Ok, I just tried unplugging the 4 pin 12v ATX connector, and the fans kept spinning just fine. Will proceed to try with complete bare setup, w/ monitor.

rahving

I dumbly had just plugged in my break-away 4 pin set (from my 20+4 ATX connection) into my 12v ATX 4-pin connection. I found (I think) the actual 4 pin 12v ATX connector, plugged it in. When I power up my system with (I think), the bare stuff...my cpu fan and 120mm rear fan both spin fine. However, nothing happens with my monitor, which is plugged in right. Any suggestions?

rahving

I am going absolutely crazy here...been "working" on pc for literally over 10 hours straight. I'll try anything...give me some suggestions. Btw..for some reason I can't seem to get any of the front panel led's light up. Any suggestions?

bball4life

rahving said:
I am going absolutely crazy here...been "working" on pc for literally over 10 hours straight. I'll try anything...give me some suggestions. Btw..for some reason I can't seem to get any of the front panel led's light up. Any suggestions?
if your leds dont work then you probably dont have the connections for the leds right

rahving

Ok got my led's working now. Also got the power button working, I can startup and shutdown power using it. However, I still can't get anything to happen on the monitor at all.

bball4life

go throught your computer and check every connection. If your gpu has an external plug (like a 6 pin plug on higher end pci-e cards) make sure it is all the way in. Make sure your video card is seated properly, and if possible check on another computer to make sure your monitor is working and that it is plugged in and turned on. And if you have another video card try it to elimate your gpu as the problem.

rahving

I'm using integrated video for now...no video card. I've checked my connections literally hundreds of times. Also...even though all of my led's work, I still have no sound, no beep at all. My monitor I'm using right now...swapping back and forth as I need it to try stuff.

rahving

Ok, it's been a few days now and here's my status. I went out and bought some thermal compound at Best Buy and reseated the cpu. I plug in my cpu fan on mobo, connect my power switch to mobo, connect my 20-pin ATX cable to mobo, connect my 4-pin ATX 12v cable to mobo, install my 1GB stick of memory on mobo, and connect my monitor cable to mobo. My monitor works just fine on another comp and I have also tried my friend's spare monitor. I have my motherboard resting on the anti-static bag it came in, and it is outside of the case.

When I plug in my power cord to the power supply and then flip my psu switch on, my fans start up right away and run fine until I cut power. My power switch on the front of my case works, both to "turn on" my computer as is and to "shut down"/turn off. The only problem is (and a huge one), my monitor doesn't show anything on screen, it just blinks on and off as if on standby...you know what I'm talking about. Also, whenever I try/have tried to plug in my chassis speaker my mobo, no sounds or beeps at all. I have reseated my ram multiple times, reseated my cpu once, checked my connections hundreds of times. Between stabbing my spare mattress with a screwdriver dozens of times, cursing like a lunatic, and wanting to cry (haven't cried since I was no older than 8)...I'm going to lose it soon.

Please help, any suggestions welcome. Time is of the essence, I could easily thrown my motherboard AND cpu into the street before long. And unfortunately, I'm not kidding. Thanks.

Last edited:

Ku-sama

banned
well, you could throw them my way if you want to do that :p

1: try a better PSU
2: dont buy thermal crap from Worst Buy
3: dont buy ANYTHING from Worst Buy
4: have you tried to look into your motherboard manual for troubleshooting tips?

tommycompton

could be your mobo is toast, can you plug your cpu into another to see if it posts? then you could narrow it down to cpu or mobo. you may have inadvertantly grounded your mobo improperly and fried it? i have had my mobo fry during a rebuild for no apparent reason, had to rma it, the symptoms were exactly as you describe.

i have taken my mobo out of the case hooked up the psu, one stick of ram, and a vid card and jump started my system to see if it will post. then hooked up one thing at a time to find the problem

did you reset the cmos???

rahving

Yes I have reset the cmos with the jumper. I am running bare post requirements, and can't narrow anything down really. This is all AM2 stuff, and what I'm typing on now is a 733Mhz P3.

tommycompton

also the power resetting sounds like you have/or had your sw power and reset power on the wrong pins. i would then take your mobo and cpu to a computer store where they can see if it will post, probably cost you like twenty bucks but atleast they can plug another chip into it for ya, then you'll know if either of those two are the culprit.