Need help with PC build.

HemiAO03

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and new to building a PC, I've never done it or have ANY experience with PCs. I'd say I know a bit of software but no hardware anyway off to my question. I would like to build a PC and I'm looking right now at thee Intel i5 750 for my CPU and windows 7 (would like W7 ultimate but what's the difference between home and ultimate?) That's as far as I've gotten, I've read up on memory and motherboards but its all too much to take in. I guess from what I've researched I'm looking for 2GBx2 DDR3 1600 memory to stay within the 32bit OS or should I just go for the 64bit? I looked into the Intel motherboard because it seems to be stable and good (I'm not looking to overclock or do anything fancy)... well in few words I need a good,stable, fast PC for everyday use, I wont play games on it or watch movies but I do want a blu ray burner and be able to watch YouTube videos with ease... sorry guys I know this forum must get a thousand threads like this one...

Thanks in advance!!
Lee

xxartanisxx

Well the i5 750 is more of a budget gaming processor for everyday use the i3 processors are cheaper and have hyper-threading allowing you to multitask twice as much.

CPU + Mobo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.362287

PSU + Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.364488

RAM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220435

Blu-Ray Burner
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136181

Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147135

Windows 7
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116754

~$770 with $35 MIR

Any tweaks anyone?

Last edited:

HemiAO03

Thanks a lot guys! Especially for letting me know about the i3 which would suit me better. Once again THANKS!

xxartanisxx

Ya personally with that processor i would buy a heatsink and OC it... They perform really well at Overclocking but you dont have to. If you are interested to let me know you should be able to get it to 4 ghz no problem with temps under 60C

HemiAO03

Ya personally with that processor i would buy a heatsink and OC it... They perform really well at Overclocking but you dont have to. If you are interested to let me know you should be able to get it to 4 ghz no problem with temps under 60C

I wouldn't mind OCing I'm just a bit hesitant because I don't wanna fry my MoBo or CPU but I don't mind OCing, I mean I have my droid OC'd at 1MHz and that's my cell phone lol... well how do I OC? Is there a HOW TO in here somewhere?

OH yea another question, do I need a sound card with all the stuff you recommended? Anything else besides the heat sink and OC suggestion?

I just want my PC to run fast and smooth unlike my Windows XP with 60 GB HD, 128 MB RDRAM and 1.4 GH Intel Pentium 4 processor... yea it's old LOL.

bomberboysk

i3's arent really worth the cost, especially when you can get a Phenom II with 4 true cores vs 4 virtual cores for the same price:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103656

HemiAO03

i3's arent really worth the cost, especially when you can get a Phenom II with 4 true cores vs 4 virtual cores for the same price:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103656

LOL awww crud! So that changes motherboard and stuff Hu? This PC stuff is complicated WAY to many options to choose from and if you know jack about em (like me) you'll easily get eaten up...

But I heard AMD wasn't such a good processor, is this false?

I don't mind getting it, my budget is a thousand cash and maybe a little more, I just want speed, reliability, stability, and good looks LOL. Thanks!

bomberboysk

LOL awww crud! So that changes motherboard and stuff Hu? This PC stuff is complicated WAY to many options to choose from and if you know jack about em (like me) you'll easily get eaten up...

But I heard AMD wasn't such a good processor, is this false?

I don't mind getting it, my budget is a thousand cash and maybe a little more, I just want speed, reliability, stability, and good looks LOL. Thanks!

At $1000 you could do an i5 build if you have a microcenter close,since i5 750's are $179 there:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0317379

the Phenom II's are roughly equal to the performance of the core 2 intel line. However, four cores on the phenom II should have more overall processing power than a dual core nehalem with hyperthreading.

Actually, even an i7 920 might be doable as long as $1000 doesnt include monitor/mouse/keyboard/os...: (1366 motherboards cost more, so does triple channel memory kits, etc)
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0331303

Last edited:

davidandersson

I'm totally not sure about CPUs (I'm running a quad core which is nice), but the motherboard has to match the CPU, with inel I think it has to be the same pin number, but don't quote mo on that one. As a general I would go for Gigabyte as a motherboard.
I personally wouldn't go for DDR3 ram because at the moment it just isn't worth it. Just get some high mhz DDR2 ram and you'll be fine, and once DDR3 is worth it you'll easily be able to upgrade. Go for Corsair (not sure how it's spelled) ram, is best.
Your GPU will be anther hard decision. Personally I would go for the nVidia 400 series because they would be the most powerful, but I'm running a GTX275 and it's easily handling everything, so the high 200 series would also be fine with running todays programs. As a general I would go for nVidia, even though ATI is beating them at the moment.
I went for a blu ray drive just because at the time I could but I haven't used it much (I like blu ray movies a lot, but generally speaking you would be looking at another 200 dollars or so compared to a normal DVD drive). I personally have 3 optical drives because a lot of my programs require DVDs to run, but you generally need 1.
Your OS hdd should be a highspeed WD. I like the fact that I have a 320 GB for OS and then 2TB of just space because when you install a new OS it will be really easy and you won't have to delete all your data.
Don't bother with an expensive soundcard because they aren't worth it. Onboard is fine for me and I run a 5.1 surround sound system. The quality is mostly up to your speaker system.
Anyway, hope I helped a bit!

bomberboysk

I'm totally not sure about CPUs (I'm running a quad core which is nice), but the motherboard has to match the CPU, with inel I think it has to be the same pin number, but don't quote mo on that one. As a general I would go for Gigabyte as a motherboard.
I personally wouldn't go for DDR3 ram because at the moment it just isn't worth it. Just get some high mhz DDR2 ram and you'll be fine, and once DDR3 is worth it you'll easily be able to upgrade. Go for Corsair (not sure how it's spelled) ram, is best.
Your GPU will be anther hard decision. Personally I would go for the nVidia 400 series because they would be the most powerful, but I'm running a GTX275 and it's easily handling everything, so the high 200 series would also be fine with running todays programs. As a general I would go for nVidia, even though ATI is beating them at the moment.
I went for a blu ray drive just because at the time I could but I haven't used it much (I like blu ray movies a lot, but generally speaking you would be looking at another 200 dollars or so compared to a normal DVD drive). I personally have 3 optical drives because a lot of my programs require DVDs to run, but you generally need 1.
Your OS hdd should be a highspeed WD. I like the fact that I have a 320 GB for OS and then 2TB of just space because when you install a new OS it will be really easy and you won't have to delete all your data.
Don't bother with an expensive soundcard because they aren't worth it. Onboard is fine for me and I run a 5.1 surround sound system. The quality is mostly up to your speaker system.
Anyway, hope I helped a bit!

1. Socket and cpu must have the same pinout, as well as being bios compatible
2. There are plenty more good board manufacturers than gigabyte.
3. DDR3 is barely more expensive than DDR2, and especially if you go AM3 it will futureproof as the DDR2 IMC will be removed from AM3 cpu's at some point, but also with X58/P55/H55 you can only use DDR3 memory as the nehalem architecture based cpu's IMC is DDR3 only.
4. At this price range, the GTX 480 is a horrible price/performance card. The 5xxx series from ati are much better price/performance, especially comparing the 5870 and gtx480, 10% performance gap and $120 difference, plus the GTX 4X0 line has a much higher thermal load as well as much higher current draw.
5. No need to be going with say, a velociraptor for an OS drive. 2TB drives are pretty expensive, and at a $1000 price point i would suggest either a 500gb or 750gb hdd. The price of the velociraptor is a bit crazy for an OS drive, especially considering you can get a 60gb ocz vertex solid state disk which is plenty sufficient for an os drive(i personally use a 30gb vertex for an OS drive).
6. At this price point i would tend to agree, but i would never touch integrated sound after switching to an X-fi(or the xonar in my dads rig, been considering swapping cards with him). Unless of course you are running digital outputs, in which case you arent using the DAC's on the card but the ones in your receiver(in the case of some cheap speakers though, the quality over analog will be better because the DAC's on the speakers arent very good, case and point- logitech z-5500's.)

HemiAO03

I appreciate all the info guys, but I just need a simple layout that goes well with each other... my fear is getting an i5 with the wrong Mo Bo or a bad memory or a bad video card... so this is what I know from researching...

CPU has to match MO BO in all aspects, (especially if you want to OC)
Memory has to be the minimum but not outdo the maximum of the MO BO
I think that's it
I'd like to pull the trigger on this today so I can start building my own PC by Wed :)

What I need to buy is:
Memory: ?
Mo Bo: ?
Video card: ? (IF NEEDED)
HDD: which on Newegg I seen a Samsung with a 1TB for 89.99, supposedly a buyers choice award HD (whatever)
Blu Ray burner: you know for copys (optional)
CPU: really liked the i5 750 but if I don't need it and can save a few bucks then I'd go for an i3

I just pretty much need the basics and essentials for now, anything I can upgrade I'd do later on like keyboard and mouse, the ones I have now will do, monitor I have, again I need it for everyday use no gaming, no OCing, no fancy stuff... just heavy net browsing, multitasking (lots of it), you guys know... thanks

Last edited:

bomberboysk

Before you go and buy anything, first, would like to know if you have a microcenter close to you, as that sorta dictates what sorta deals you can get:
http://www.microcenter.com/

Also, you are missing a PSU and Optical Drive in that list.

HemiAO03

Before you go and buy anything, first, would like to know if you have a microcenter close to you, as that sorta dictates what sorta deals you can get:
http://www.microcenter.com/

Also, you are missing a PSU and Optical Drive in that list.

Nope no microcenter around me, I'm in NY... what does a psu and optical drive do?

Also is my list OK? Everything will work well with each other? Is the PC case good?

Last edited:

davidandersson

1. Socket and cpu must have the same pinout, as well as being bios compatible
2. There are plenty more good board manufacturers than gigabyte.
3. DDR3 is barely more expensive than DDR2, and especially if you go AM3 it will futureproof as the DDR2 IMC will be removed from AM3 cpu's at some point, but also with X58/P55/H55 you can only use DDR3 memory as the nehalem architecture based cpu's IMC is DDR3 only.
4. At this price range, the GTX 480 is a horrible price/performance card. The 5xxx series from ati are much better price/performance, especially comparing the 5870 and gtx480, 10% performance gap and $120 difference, plus the GTX 4X0 line has a much higher thermal load as well as much higher current draw.
5. No need to be going with say, a velociraptor for an OS drive. 2TB drives are pretty expensive, and at a $1000 price point i would suggest either a 500gb or 750gb hdd. The price of the velociraptor is a bit crazy for an OS drive, especially considering you can get a 60gb ocz vertex solid state disk which is plenty sufficient for an os drive(i personally use a 30gb vertex for an OS drive).
6. At this price point i would tend to agree, but i would never touch integrated sound after switching to an X-fi(or the xonar in my dads rig, been considering swapping cards with him). Unless of course you are running digital outputs, in which case you arent using the DAC's on the card but the ones in your receiver(in the case of some cheap speakers though, the quality over analog will be better because the DAC's on the speakers arent very good, case and point- logitech z-5500's.)

I'm learning as well :) Anyway, I meant 2 times one TB hdds, I picked mine up for a bit less than 100 dollars (WD Green). Also the graphics processing unit it's always like that with the high end stuff that they get ridiculously expensive, I didn't know there even was a 500 series yet... DDR3 wasn't worth it when I last checked, but you have to have motherboard comparability which makes the whole process expensive... Anyway, we are off topic, lets return...

bomberboysk

Nope no microcenter around me, I'm in NY... what does a psu and optical drive do?

Also is my list OK? Everything will work well with each other? Is the PC case good?

Power supply powers everything,and not something your gonna want to skimp on. Optical drive= CD/DVD drive.

HemiAO03

Aaaaaahhhhh gotcha! You guys were very helpful with a lot of useful info and I greatly appreciate it, so from the sounds of it my set up seems solid and all I need is a optical drive which will be my LG BLU RAY burner and the psu which was recommended above would be just fine right? Thanks again! Great forum! Good people!