Need more RAM?

textbook

I was trying to battlefield with some friends and when i move the screen responds really slowly- do i need more RAM? I have 512 at the moment. If I need more should take one of my 256 sticks in with me to show the shop so I get exactly what i need? Many different kinds of RAM around , right?

Where do you find where it say your computers maximum amount of permitted RAM? Dont want to exceed that.

dave597

VIP Member
possibly more ram.
what are your cpu and graphics card specs?
your motherboard manual will tell you the max amount of ram you can install on a system.
a program like cpu-z can also tell you what type of ram you are using.

Droogie

possibly more ram.
what are your cpu and graphics card specs?
your motherboard manual will tell you the max amount of ram you can install on a system.
a program like cpu-z can also tell you what type of ram you are using.

Yup, it could be the RAM, but I'd be willing to bet its more than just that, more likely your graphics card or processor. Give CPU-Z a try and post your specs up.

textbook

is the CPU-Z a good program? Downloaded it anyway.

The stats are as follows-

Intel Pentium 4 2.66GHz

DDR two 256 sticks so total 512MB

MAx Bandwith wahtever that means is PC2700 166MHz, whatever that means.

Graphics card- Ge Force 6600

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes more ram would be nice because BF has some quite big maps.

also what internet connection do you have?

fade2green514

personally, i'd build a new computer. its worth it to upgrade to 2x1gb if your motherboard supports it, just because ram is so cheap now.

textbook

How do you know or find out if your computer can support say 2 GB?

I should get the same type-DDR as before, right?

fade2green514

yes get the same type of memory... types include regular dimm's... DDR, DDR2, DDR3... i suggest getting the same speed as before in a dual channel kit only larger size.

motherboard monitor might tell you how much it can support.. i havent used that in a really long time though.

i'd still build a new computer though. lol something for $300 might outperform that you know.. every bit makes a difference.

what are your system specs?

textbook

yes get the same type of memory... types include regular dimm's... DDR, DDR2, DDR3... i suggest getting the same speed as before in a dual channel kit only larger size.

motherboard monitor might tell you how much it can support.. i havent used that in a really long time though.

i'd still build a new computer though. lol something for $300 might outperform that you know.. every bit makes a difference.

what are your system specs?

so what is the difference between dimms and DDR, DDR2 and DDR3 then?

Mine is DDR

Dual channel does that mean e.g. 2 one GB RAM sticks and fitting them nect to each other rather than one 2GB stick? Is this better?

I think I heard my max is 2GB, will check though with that program you recommended.

textbook

Ok I went and bought two new 1GB sticks of RAM. The maximum capacity for my computer is 2GB. It says on that CPUID program that i have 2048. Could I be damaging my computer? When It tried Battlefield my computer switched off the first time after ten minutes.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
2048 is 2Gb

1Gb = 1024

no it wont be damaging your pc.

however what ram did you buy? are you sure your mobo is compatiable with that ram?

textbook

i think it is compatible, I showed my comuter stats to the guy in the shop and he said the ones i bought would be ok. I needed DDR SDRAM PC2700. They said PC3200 would be ok, so that is what i bought. Paid equivalent to 85 dollars for two 1GB sticks though