need new graphics card....any suggestions

the50doctor

need new graphics card for my dell optiplex gx1 at present there is a Dell ATI Rage 3D Pro video card installed directly on the motherboard. There is a PCI slot available for a video card upgrade.

there were 2 options listed for me on powerleap. I had purchased a g force card, but it needs the agp port, which i dont have. i think i need a card w/ a pci slot? 2 options from powerleap were:

Sapphire ATI Radeon 9250 PCI 256MB DDR

Jaton nVidia 5700LE PCI 128MB DDR

any suggestions on a compatiable card?

how do i find other options besides these, or thats it?

will they really help over my current card?

...any suggestions, thoughts appreciated

Qlutch

Really there aren't many options you can find nowadays for a PCI slot. The 5700LE is your best bet, and you'll notice a fair difference between that and your current onboard video. However, on newer games, the 5700LE won't perform very well, but that's the best you can live with.

the50doctor

Qlutch said:
Really there aren't many options you can find nowadays for a PCI slot. The 5700LE is your best bet, and you'll notice a fair difference between that and your current onboard video. However, on newer games, the 5700LE won't perform very well, but that's the best you can live with.

ok, im a computer newbie.......if i need the Jaton nVidia 5700LE PCI 128MB DDR

are there different models or configuartions of this? i need the pci slot, not agp/apg port. look for the 5700LE?

thanks, p

Qlutch

The only PCI 5700LE I could find on NewEgg was the Jaton 128MB. That means there probably aren't many other variations of this card, so I'd go with the Jaton one you are talking about. Jaton only makes one version of the 5700LE PCI card, so there aren't any choices you have to make there.

the50doctor

Qlutch said:
The only PCI 5700LE I could find on NewEgg was the Jaton 128MB. That means there probably aren't many other variations of this card, so I'd go with the Jaton one you are talking about. Jaton only makes one version of the 5700LE PCI card, so there aren't any choices you have to make there.

thanks. this card has 128mb. thats 128 mb memory for the graphics?

the ati radeon has 256mb. The jatons the better card, so dont work about the memory difference? thanks, appreciate the help-

Qlutch

Well, video memory is used to store textures while you are gaming. The higher quality you set your games on, usually the more textures there are. However, this isn't really an issue with a 5700LE because it won't be able to render at high settings anyway. So you aren't really losing any performance with getting 128MB. What matters more is the number of pixel pipelines the card has and basically the architecture of the card. The 5700LE has the best of these in the PCI slot video card category.

the50doctor

Qlutch said:
Well, video memory is used to store textures while you are gaming. The higher quality you set your games on, usually the more textures there are. However, this isn't really an issue with a 5700LE because it won't be able to render at high settings anyway. So you aren't really losing any performance with getting 128MB. What matters more is the number of pixel pipelines the card has and basically the architecture of the card. The 5700LE has the best of these in the PCI slot video card category.

well explained, much thanks to all!!!!!

the50doctor

Qlutch said:

looked for card on ebay, and found 128mb and 256mb versions.....would the
number of pixel pipelines the card has and basically the architecture of the card be the same from version 128mb and 256mb?thanks:cool:

the50doctor

Qlutch said:
Are you sure that 256mb is PCI, or is it AGP?

im a newbie. they all said agp....where do i find a pci one? heres a pic of the card....i saw the things that go in thew socket...what kind is this? thanks, p

Attachments

• videocard.jpg
    videocard.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 28

the50doctor

maybe this is the card i need?

Jaton GeForce FX5700LE LP PCI 128MB Video-248PCI-DVI

says its a pci slot. but its not a le5700. its a 5700le

is that the same thing? im confused again:eek:

Attachments

• jaton_248pci_dvi.jpg
    jaton_248pci_dvi.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 38

Qlutch

Well there is no such thing as an LE5700, so if you find something that says that it's just a typo. Yes, you're going to want to get the Jaton GeForce FX5700LE LP PCI 128MB Video-248PCI-DVI.

the50doctor

Qlutch said:
Well there is no such thing as an LE5700, so if you find something that says that it's just a typo. Yes, you're going to want to get the Jaton GeForce FX5700LE LP PCI 128MB Video-248PCI-DVI.