Need some advice:Avast Antivirus over Norton?

Greg

Need some advice please.

I'm kinda the default IT guy at a small firm and it appears that the annual virus subscription is due for our Mcafee antivirus. Being that it is $34 each for about 10 users, my boss is asking me if there was a cheaper alternative. He's willing to go with paying the subscriptions but he's open to suggestions.

I've been testing the Norton, Avast and AVG scanners. To test them, I DL'd a zip file containing about 593 viruses out of 602 files. The AVG did the worst, detecting about 559. The Norton got 585, and surprisingly, Avast got 588.

Avast is free while Norton is about average in price, although we'd still have to pay the equivalent annual fee. However, Norton is much more well known and it'd be hard to convince my coworkers and boss that a free scanner is trustworthy. What do you think?

bigdogz4u2

I would go with Norton, I also work in IT department, and we prefer to use Noton over other Antivirus software. So go with Norton and see if you can get Norton Corporate edition. its much better then others and does not effect the system's peroformance.

Greg

bigdogz4u2 said:
I would go with Norton, I also work in IT department, and we prefer to use Noton over other Antivirus software. So go with Norton and see if you can get Norton Corporate edition. its much better then others and does not effect the system's peroformance.

Cheers, thanks for your opinion.

Dngrsone

VIP Member
I'm a home user, and I've had issues with Norton's. I switched to Avast! and have fewer headaches. Avast! seems to update their definitions more frequently than Norton's does and I have yet to hit on any conflicts between the AV and other programs like the ones I encountered with Norton's.

Personal opinion, take what you want from it.

Curt

I work at a computer shop and I use Avast and AVG for viruses and Ad-aware and Mircrosoft Antispyware for adware and spyware. It does a great job. Every once in a great while I will have to manually remove something but the combination of those things is great and fast. I am not a fan of Norton at all.